MJA
MJA

Mushroom poisoning: a personal vignette

Med J Aust 2011; 195 (11): 720-721. || doi: 10.5694/mja11.10828

An inquisitive physician explores the effects of a poisonous mushroom first-hand

Illness from eating mushrooms is a worldwide phenomenon.1 In Australia, poisoning appears rare but deaths have occurred in recent years,2,3 perhaps partly due to the changing ethnic mix of the country to include cultures more comfortable with eating wild mushrooms despite knowledge of the risks involved.1

  • Lindsay C Mollison

  • University of Western Australia, Perth, WA.


Acknowledgements: 

I thank Heino Lepp and Neale Bougher for their identification of the offending mushroom. Dr Bougher was the first to identify this mushroom in the local area.11

Competing interests:

No relevant disclosures.

Author

remove_circle_outline Delete Author
add_circle_outline Add Author

Comment
Do you have any competing interests to declare? *

I/we agree to assign copyright to the Medical Journal of Australia and agree to the Conditions of publication *
I/we agree to the Terms of use of the Medical Journal of Australia *
Email me when people comment on this article