To the Editor: I would like to correct some inaccuracies in an article by Jelinek and Gawler in the December 2008 issue of the Journal about a survivor of disseminated osteosarcoma.1
- 1. Jelinek GA, Gawler RH. Thirty-year follow-up at pneumonectomy of a 58-year-old survivor of disseminated osteosarcoma. Med J Aust 2008; 189: 663-665. <MJA full text>
- 2. Gawler I. Cancer patients find strength in self-help approach. Aust Doct 1993; Sept 3: 25.
- 3. Gawler I, editor. Inspiring people: stories of remarkable recovery and hope from the Gawler Foundation. Yarra Junction, Vic: Gawler Foundation, 1995.
- 4. Gerson MA. Cancer therapy: results of 50 cases. New York: Station Hill Press, 1995.
- 5. McCarthy EF. The toxins of William B Coley and the treatment of bone and soft-tissue sarcomas. Iowa Orthop J 2006; 26: 154-158.
- 6. Allenby G. Ian Gawler: the dragon’s blessing. Sydney: Allen and Unwin, 2008.
- 7. Gawler I. You can conquer cancer. Melbourne: Hill of Content, 1984.
- 8. Kleef R, Jonas WB, Knogler W, Stenzinger W. Fever, cancer incidence and spontaneous remissions. Neuroimmunomodulation 2001; 9: 55-64.
- 9. Theilmann L, Meyer U, Kommerell B, et al. [Alpha tumor necrosis factor in the serum of patients with sarcoidosis, tuberculosis or bronchial cancer] [German]. Pneumologie 1990; 44: 735-738.
- 10. Hortobagyi GN, Richman SP, Dandridge K, et al. Immunotherapy with BCG administered by scarification: standardization of reactions and management of side effects. Cancer 1978; 42: 2293-2303.
- 11. Gkialas I, Kalantzis A, Lykourinas M. The response of urological tumours to immunotherapy. J BUON 2005; 10: 329-336.
- 12. Terlikowski SJ. Tumour necrosis factor and cancer treatment: a historical review and perspectives. Rocz Akad Med Bialymst 2001; 46: 5-18.
- 13. Wiemann B, Starnes CO. Coley’s toxins, tumor necrosis factor and cancer research: a historical perspective. Pharmacol Ther 1994; 64: 529-564.
- 14. Nauts HC. Osteogenic sarcoma: end results following immunotherapy (bacterial vaccines) 165 cases, or concurrent infections, inflammation or fever, 41 cases. New York: Cancer Research Institute, 1975. (CRI Monograph No. 15.)
- 15. Hirshberg C, O’Regan B. Spontaneous remission: an annotated bibliography San Francisco, Calif: Institute of Noetic Sciences, 1993.
- 16. Lowenthal RM. Can cancer be cured by meditation and “natural therapy”? A critical review of the book You can conquer cancer by Ian Gawler. Med J Aust 1989; 151: 710-715.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.