Mercury poisoning from home gold amalgam extraction

Mohamed Saleem, Sam Alfred, Rebecca A Bahnisch, Penelope Coates and Daniel J Kearney
Med J Aust 2013; 199 (2): . || doi: 10.5694/mja13.10171
Published online: 22 July 2013

This is the first Australian report of confirmed minimal change disease with nephrotic syndrome, which occurred in a 62-year-old man who inhaled mercury vapour in his home. This case highlights the immediate and delayed effects of such poisoning on multiple organs. Prompt and sometimes prolonged treatment may prevent long-term damage.

  • Mohamed Saleem1
  • Sam Alfred2
  • Rebecca A Bahnisch1
  • Penelope Coates1
  • Daniel J Kearney1

  • 1 SA Pathology, Adelaide, SA.
  • 2 Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, SA.

Competing interests:

No relevant disclosures.


remove_circle_outline Delete Author
add_circle_outline Add Author

Do you have any competing interests to declare? *

I/we agree to assign copyright to the Medical Journal of Australia and agree to the Conditions of publication *
I/we agree to the Terms of use of the Medical Journal of Australia *
Email me when people comment on this article

Online responses are no longer available. Please refer to our instructions for authors page for more information.