Connect
MJA
MJA

Straight to the emergency department: burns in children caused by hair-straightening devices

Zoe M Poiner, Michael D Kerr, Belinda A Wallis and Roy M Kimble
Med J Aust 2009; 191 (9): 516-517.
Published online: 2 November 2009

To the Editor: Contact burns in children caused by hair-straightening devices are increasingly common. Although the dangers of hair dryers and other similar devices are well known,1 there is less awareness of the risks associated with hair straighteners. The relevant Australian Standard does not mention hair straighteners.2 Four recent studies from the United Kingdom have reported on this problem,3-6 but there is no readily identifiable published information from Australia.

  • Zoe M Poiner1
  • Michael D Kerr1
  • Belinda A Wallis1,2
  • Roy M Kimble1,2

  • 1 University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD.
  • 2 Royal Children’s Hospital, Brisbane, QLD.

Correspondence: RCHburns@somc.uq.edu.au

Author

remove_circle_outline Delete Author
add_circle_outline Add Author

Comment
Do you have any competing interests to declare? *

I/we agree to assign copyright to the Medical Journal of Australia and agree to the Conditions of publication *
I/we agree to the Terms of use of the Medical Journal of Australia *
Email me when people comment on this article

Responses are now closed for this article.