The second round of trials may provide more answers
The coordinated care trials were nothing if not ambitious! In 1994, the Council of Australian Government proposed that the organisation, funding and management of health and community services could be restructured into three streams: 1
- 1. Council of Australian Government. Task force on health and community services. Health and community services: meeting people's needs better. A discussion paper. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 1995. <http://www.health.gov.au/archive/1999/coag1_95/coag1_95.htm> (no longer available - view cached copy at http://126.96.36.199/search?q=cache:_DzkyiUehGwJ:www.health.gov.au/archive/1999/coag1_95/coag1_95.htm+site:health.gov.au+%22Health+and+community+services:+meeting+people%27s+needs+better%22&hl=en).
- 2. Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care. The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander coordinated care trials: national evaluation summary. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2001. Available at <http://www.health.gov.au/oatsih/pubs/coord.htm>.
- 3. Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing. Primary care initiatives further coordinated care trials. <http://www.health.gov.au/hsdd/primcare/acoorcar/pubs/>. 27 August 2001. Accessed 3 September 2001, no longer available.
- 4. Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care. The Australian coordinated care trials: summary of the final technical national evaluation report on the first round of trials. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2002; 149-150.
- 5. Esterman A. Who are the most suitable participants for coordinated care? In: The Australian coordinated care trials: recollections of an evaluation. Canberra: Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing, 2002; 159-164.
- 6. Beilby J, Pekarsky B. Fundholding: learning from the past and looking to the future. Med J Aust 2002; 176: 321-325. <MJA full text>
- 7. Curtis JL, Millman EJ, Struening E, D'Ercole A. Effect of case management on rehospitalization and utilization of ambulatory care services. Hosp Community Psychiatry 1992; 43: 895-899.
- 8. Franklin JL, Solovitz B, Mason M, et al. An evaluation of case management. Am J Public Health 1987; 77: 674-678.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.