With suicide rates high and burgeoning rates of self‐harm, suicide prevention is a key national priority. While there are many paths to wanting not to live, some common patterns have been identified. Most people who die by suicide have histories of mental health problems, most frequently depression, and many have repeatedly sought help prior to their deaths.1
- 1. Stene‐Larsen K, Reneflot A. Contact with primary and mental health care prior to suicide: a systematic review of the literature from 2000 to 2017. Scand J Public Health 2019; 47: 9‐17.
- 2. Chitty KM, Buckley NA, Lim J, et al. Psychotropic and other medicine use at time of death by suicide: a population‐level analysis of linked dispensing and forensic toxicology data. Med J Aust 2023; 219: 63‐69.
- 3. Dunstan L. The National Coronial Information System: saving lives through the power of data. Australian Economic Review 2019; 52: 247‐254.
- 4. Productivity Commission (Australian Government). Mental health: inquiry report. 16 Nov 2020. https://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/completed/mental‐health/report (viewed May 2023).
- 5. Palmer EG, Sornalingam S, Page L, Cooper M. Withdrawing from SSRI antidepressants: advice for primary care. Br J Gen Pract 2023; 73: 138‐140.
- 6. Hengartner MP, Amendola S, Kaminski JA, et al. Suicide risk with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and other new‐generation antidepressants in adults: a systematic review and meta‐analysis of observational studies. J Epidemiol Community Health 2021; 75: 523‐530.
- 7. Malhi G, Bell E, Bassett D, et al. The 2020 Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists clinical practice guidelines for mood disorders. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2021; 55: 7‐117.
- 8. Chitty KM, Schumann JL, Schaffer A, et al. Australian Suicide Prevention using Health‐Linked Data (ASHLi): protocol for a population‐based case series study. BMJ Open 2020; 10: e038181.
- 9. Government of Western Australia Education and Health Standing Committee. Learnings from the message stick: the report of the Inquiry into Aboriginal youth suicide in remote areas. Nov 2016. https://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/parliament/commit.nsf/(WebInquiries)/B7C324463C7E020A4825806E00050947?opendocument (viewed May 2023).
- 10. Research!America. Public supports research to prevent suicide prevention [blog]. 10 Sept 2019. https://www.researchamerica.org/blog/public‐supports‐research‐to‐prevent‐suicide (viewed May 2023).
- 11. Council of Australian Governments Health Council. The fifth national mental health and suicide prevention plan. Aug 2017. https://www.mentalhealthcommission.gov.au/Monitoring‐and‐Reporting/Fifth‐Plan (viewed May 2023).
- 12. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Suicide and self‐harm monitoring. Updated 20 Mar 2023. https://www.aihw.gov.au/suicide‐self‐harm‐monitoring/data/suicide‐self‐harm‐monitoring‐data (viewed May 2023).
- 13. Council of Australian Governments. National mental health and suicide prevention agreement. Feb 2022. https://federalfinancialrelations.gov.au/sites/federalfinancialrelations.gov.au/files/2022‐05/nmh_suicide_prevention_agreement.pdf (viewed May 2023).
- 14. McPhee R, Carlin E, Seear K, et al. Unacceptably high: an audit of Kimberley self‐harm data 2014–2018. Australas Psychiatry 2022; 30: 70‐73.
- 15. Stokes B. Review of the admission or referral to and the discharge and transfer practices of public mental health facilities/services in Western Australia. 14 Nov 2012. https://www.health.wa.gov.au/Reports‐and‐publications/Review‐of‐the‐admission‐referral‐and‐discharge‐transfer‐practices‐of‐public‐mental‐health‐facilities (viewed May 2023).
- 16. van der Feltz‐Cornelis CM, Sarchiapone M, Postuvan V, et al. Best practice elements of multilevel suicide prevention strategies: a review of systematic reviews. Crisis 2011; 32: 319‐333.
- 17. Krysinska K, Batterham PJ, Tye M, et al. Best strategies for reducing the suicide rate in Australia. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2016; 50: 115‐118.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.