A 56‐year‐old woman of European ancestry from a suburban area of Far North Queensland was referred to the local cardiothoracic unit for a right lower lobe lung lesion. Her past medical history included a 43 pack‐year smoking history, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, hypertension, dyslipidaemia, diabetes mellitus and obesity. She had resided in Malaysia for almost three years as a child and had previously travelled to Papua New Guinea several years before presentation. A lung lesion was incidentally detected while the patient was undergoing imaging to investigate hepatic steatosis. She had no clinical features of infection or malignancy.
- 1. Saha BK, Bonnier A, Chong WH, et al. Human pulmonary dirofilariasis: a review for the clinicians. Am J Med Sci 2022; 363: 11‐17.
- 2. Simón F, Siles‐Lucas M, Morchón R, et al. Human and animal dirofilariasis: the emergence of a zoonotic mosaic. Clin Microbiol Rev 2012; 25: 507‐544.
- 3. Maxwell G, Sood J, Allpress S. An unexpected zoonosis: pulmonary dirofilaria infection mimicking pulmonary neoplasm. Respirol Case Rep 2019; 7: e00484.
- 4. Stone M, Dalal I, Stone C, Dalal B. 18‐FDG uptake in pulmonary dirofilariasis. J Radiol Case Rep 2015; 9: 28‐33.
- 5. Moore W, Franceschi D. PET findings in pulmonary dirofilariasis. J Thorac Imaging 2005; 20: 305‐306.
- 6. Higashi K, Ueda Y, Sakuma T, et al. Comparison of [18F]FDG PET and 201Tl SPECT in evaluation of pulmonary nodules. J Nucl Med 2001; 42:1489‐1496.
- 7. Flieder DB, Moran CA. Pulmonary dirofilariasis: a clinicopathologic study of 41 lesions in 39 patients. Hum Pathol 1999; 30: 251‐256.
- 8. Constantinoiu C, Croton C, Paterson MB, et al. Prevalence of canine heartworm infection in Queensland, Australia: comparison of diagnostic methods and investigation of factors associated with reduction in antigen detection. Parasit Vectors 2023; 16: 63.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.