A painful popcorn

T H H Guan Koh
Med J Aust 2002; 176 (7): . || doi: 10.5694/j.1326-5377.2002.tb04448.x
Published online: 1 April 2002

To the Editor: A previously well 21-month-old boy presented with burns on his right thigh. His mother had been making popcorn in a domestic popcorn machine while holding the baby about a metre from the machine to watch it churning out the popcorn through a chute into a bowl. Soon after the corn started to pop, the baby screamed, pointing to his right thigh. The mother immediately removed his nappy and found an unpopped corn kernel lodged between the nappy and the thigh.

  • T H H Guan Koh

  • Townsville Hospital, Douglas, 4814, QLD.



Acknowledgement: I thank Ms S Wright at Medical Illustration, Townsville Hospital, for assistance with the photograph.


remove_circle_outline Delete Author
add_circle_outline Add Author

Do you have any competing interests to declare? *

I/we agree to assign copyright to the Medical Journal of Australia and agree to the Conditions of publication *
I/we agree to the Terms of use of the Medical Journal of Australia *
Email me when people comment on this article

Online responses are no longer available. Please refer to our instructions for authors page for more information.