Older women have been relatively neglected in discussions of reducing alcohol‐related harm
Alcohol use and the associated risks and potential harms for those who use it and others are among the most challenging and controversial issues in health care. An increasing array of harms associated with the consumption of alcohol, even at lower levels of use, have been identified by researchers.1 This is not a welcome message for many.
- 1. World Health Organization. Turning down the alcohol flow: background document on the European framework for action on alcohol, 2022–2025. Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe, 2022. https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/361975 (viewed Apr 2023).
- 2. Grigg J, Manning M, Lockie D, et al. A brief intervention for improving alcohol literacy and reducing harmful alcohol use by women attending a breast screening service: a randomised controlled trial. Med J Aust 2023; 218: 511‐519.
- 3. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Cancer data in Australia. Updated 4 Oct 2022. https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/cancer/cancer‐data‐in‐australia/contents/summary (viewed Apr 2023).
- 4. World Cancer Research Fund; American Institute for Cancer Research. Diet, nutrition, physical activity and cancer: a global perspective. Continuous update project expert report 2018. https://www.wcrf.org/diet‐activity‐and‐cancer/global‐cancer‐update‐programme/about‐the‐third‐expert‐report (viewed Apr 2023).
- 5. Freudenheim JL. Alcohol's effects on breast cancer in women. Alcohol Res 2020; 40:11.
- 6. Miller M, Mojica‐Perez Y, Livingston M, et al. The who and what of women's drinking: examining risky drinking and associated socio‐demographic factors among women aged 40–65 years in Australia. Drug Alcohol Rev 2022; 41: 724‐731.
- 7. Gilmore AB, Fabbri A, Baum F, et al. Defining and conceptualising the commercial determinants of health. Lancet 2023; 401: 1194‐1213.
- 8. Rao R, Roche A. Substance misuse in older people. BMJ 2017; 358: j3885.
- 9. Farrugia C, Hinkley T. Alcohol‐related harm in families and alcohol consumption during COVID‐19 (CFCA paper no. 60). Australian Institute of Family Studies, July 2021. https://aifs.gov.au/resources/policy‐and‐practice‐papers/alcohol‐related‐harm‐families‐and‐alcohol‐consumption‐during (viewed Apr 2023).
- 10. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Cancer in Australia 2021 (AIHW cat. no. CAN 144; Cancer series no. 133). 1 Dec 2021. https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/cancer/cancer‐in‐australia‐2021/summary (viewed Apr 2023).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.