The Medical Journal of Australia offers employment opportunities in medical editing, copy editing, proofreading, graphic design, web design and administration.
Positions available: Deputy Medical Editor
Does working for the leading medical publication in the southern hemisphere interest you?
The Medical Journal of Australia (MJA) is the southern hemisphere’s most highly-regarded and influential peer-reviewed medical journal and continues to be ranked in the top 20 of general medical journals world-wide.
We are currently seeking a Deputy Medical Editor (DME) to to work on a temporary, part time basis for 2-3 days per week including a Monday or Wednesday from September to December 2022. The successful applicant will be involved in and have responsibility for editorial processes including:
- contributing to regular team meetings and discussions relating to manuscript selection and publishing strategy
- critically assessing assigned manuscript submissions for their publication suitability
- facilitating peer reviews and processing of manuscripts
- communicating with, and providing feedback to authors, many of whom are high profile clinicians and researchers from Australia and abroad
- some commissioning of submissions on topical issues
- working with our team of structural and scientific editors, and our consultant bio-statistician; and
- editing and occasional writing of manuscripts for publication.
What it takes
To be successful, you will as a minimum have:
- a medical degree from an accredited Australian or overseas medical school, with some clinical experience in Australia, and/or a PhD in a medically related area (essential);
- relevant and recent experience in medical publishing, academic writing and editing (essential);
- effective communication skills and knowledge of English language and grammar (essential);
- proven experience in critically appraising academic publications (essential);
- a high level of attention to detail, willingness to perform administrative tasks, and ability to meet tight publication deadlines (essential);
- a collaborative approach and willingness to work as part of a team, as well as being comfortable with sharing ideas, and participating in meetings (essential);
- experience in clinical research, epidemiology and/or bio-statistics (highly desirable).
AMPCo (a wholly owned subsidiary of the Australian Medical Association) publishes the MJA and other products, and owns the leading marketing database for the health care industry.
Send your resume and cover letter to Ben Dawe, Head of Publishing Operations via firstname.lastname@example.org
Requests for a confidential discussion or copy of the Position Description can be sent to the same address.
Closing date for applications is 15 August 2022.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter addressing our minimum requirements.