We describe the first documented case of Ross River virus (RRV) infection transmitted by blood transfusion. The recipient had a clinically compatible illness, and RRV infection was confirmed by serological tests. The implicated donation was positive for RRV RNA. We discuss the risk to blood recipients and the implications for blood donation in Australia.
In May 2014, the Australian Red Cross Blood Service (the Blood Service) in Western Australia received a delayed notification from a donor who had developed fatigue and arthralgia 2 days after giving blood in March 2014 and was subsequently diagnosed with acute Ross River virus (RRV) infection (Box).
- 1. Doherty RL, Carley JG, Best JC. Isolation of Ross River virus from man. Med J Aust 1972; 1: 1083-1084.
- 2. Knope KE, Doggett SL, Kurucz N, et al. Arboviral diseases and malaria in Australia, 2011-2012: annual report of the National Arbovirus and Malaria Advisory Committee. CDI 2014; 38: E122-E142.
- 3. Harley D, Sleigh A, Ritchie S. Ross River virus transmission, infection and disease: a cross-disciplinary review. Clin Microbiol Rev 2001; 14: 909-932.
- 4. Petersen LR, Busch MP. Transfusion-transmitted arboviruses. Vox Sang 2010; 98: 495-503.
- 5. Weinstein P, Weinstein SR, Rowe RJ. Transfusions: how many cases of Ross River virus infection do we cause? Med J Aust 1995; 163: 276.
- 6. Dunstan RA, Seed CR, Keller AJ. Emerging viral threats to the Australian blood supply. Aust N Z J Public Health 2008; 32: 354-360.
- 7. Shang G, Seed CR, Gahan ME, et al. Duration of Ross River viraemia in a mouse model – implications for transfusion transmission. Vox Sang 2012; 102: 185-192.
- 8. Harley D, Bossingham D, Purdie DM, et al. Ross River virus disease in tropical Queensland: evolution of rheumatic manifestations in an inception cohort followed for six months. Med J Aust 2002; 177: 352-355. <MJA full text>
- 9. Faddy HM, Seed CR, Fryk JJ, et al. Implications of dengue outbreaks for blood supply, Australia. Emerg Infect Dis 2013; 19: 787-789.
- 10. Faddy HM, Prow NA, Fryk JJ, et al. The effect of riboflavin and ultraviolet light on the infectivity of arboviruses. Transfusion 2014; Nov 5 [Epub ahead of print].
- 11. National Blood Authority. Patient blood management guidelines: module 3 — Medical. Canberra: NBA, 2012. http://www.blood.gov.au/pbm-module-3 (accessed Aug 2014).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.