Connect
MJA
MJA

Carbon monoxide-induced death and toxicity from charcoal briquettes

Jared A Brown and Nick A Buckley
Med J Aust 2013; 198 (2): 86. || doi: 10.5694/mja12.11569
Published online: 4 February 2013

To the Editor: Winder describes a death from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning caused by burning charcoal briquettes as a heat source indoors.1 We wish to highlight that this case was not an isolated incident in Australia. The NSW Poisons Information Centre has been consulted on 46 cases (from 20 incidents; see Box) of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning from burning charcoal in enclosed spaces since 2004: three cases in 2004, none in 2005, eight in 2006, one in 2007, none in 2008, seven in 2009, four in 2010, 18 in 2011, and five in 2012.

  • Jared A Brown1
  • Nick A Buckley1,2

  • 1 NSW Poisons Information Centre, Sydney Children’s Hospitals Network (Westmead), Sydney, NSW.
  • 2 University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW.

Correspondence: jared.brown@sydney.edu.au

Competing interests:

No relevant disclosures.

Author

remove_circle_outline Delete Author
add_circle_outline Add Author

Comment
Do you have any competing interests to declare? *

I/we agree to assign copyright to the Medical Journal of Australia and agree to the Conditions of publication *
I/we agree to the Terms of use of the Medical Journal of Australia *
Email me when people comment on this article

Responses are now closed for this article.