During July 2009, a 42-year-old man and another person cooked a barbecue lunch on the verandah of a small apartment in Sydney, using charcoal briquettes as the cooking fuel. At the end of the barbecue, the tray containing the still burning charcoal was transferred into the apartment as a source of heat. The apartment was beneath the flight path of a nearby airport and had noise insulation that reduced inflow of fresh air. A day and a half later, after concerns had been expressed by family and friends, police officers and landlord representatives entered the apartment to find the man deceased. The other person was unconscious, and was treated by paramedics and transferred to the emergency department of a nearby hospital.
At autopsy, the man was found to have inhaled sufficient carbon monoxide (CO) to cause death (his blood concentration of CO was 61%). The presence of postmortem lividity indicated that he had probably died a few hours after the burning briquettes were placed in the apartment. An inquest held in the State Coroner’s Court of New South Wales found that the cause of death was accidental CO poisoning after exposure to fumes from barbecue briquettes burned indoors.1 A possible factor in the man’s death was the presence of significant, but undiagnosed, coronary artery disease, which is likely to make a person more susceptible to the toxicity of CO.1
The other person had inhaled sufficient CO to cause loss of consciousness. Owing to the position in which this person had collapsed, the prolonged period of unconsciousness led to compression of the right arm with secondary ischaemia, compartment syndrome and rhabdomyolysis in the right arm. A below-elbow amputation was performed 9 days after the incident, and subsequent recovery included some residual hypoxic sequelae.
This case highlights the problem of burning charcoal briquettes in a poorly ventilated space, which can generate toxic carbon monoxide (CO) concentrations.1 CO is a colourless, odourless and non-irritating gas with no warning properties. Sources of CO are related to incomplete combustion of carbon-containing materials under conditions of restricted oxygen supply, and include faulty furnaces, unflued heaters, compressors, wood-burning stoves, vehicle exhaust, welders, other petrol- or diesel-fuelled equipment, and building fires.
The mechanism of CO toxicity is asphyxiation through inhibition of oxygen binding to haemoglobin, where CO has an affinity for the haemoglobin oxygen binding sites of over 200 times that for oxygen. CO also raises cellular haem concentrations, which interrupts cellular respiration, and causes oxidative stress and inflammation via multiple pathways.2
For mild, short-term exposure (below about 500 parts per million [ppm]), symptoms can include headache, dizziness, nausea, impaired psychomotor function (and also some abnormal behavioural function), loss of balance, fatigue and respiratory symptoms.3 As the concentration increases, these symptoms intensify. Lethal concentrations are relatively low — death occurs after about 2 hours at 1500 ppm, and can occur after shorter exposures at higher concentrations (eg, within 30 minutes at 3000–6000 ppm).2,4
Finally, the proportion of carbon in the charcoal briquettes used in this incident, as stated in manufacturer information, is 85%. Therefore, the weight of briquettes needed to produce 1% CO in a 100 m3 apartment is:
In summary, if the concentration of carbon in the briquettes is 85%, the lethal concentration of CO is 10 000 ppm and the volume of an apartment is 100 m3, then burning 629 g of charcoal briquettes could produce a potentially toxic atmosphere. Therefore, using a typical amount of briquettes of about 1 kg in a poorly ventilated area is likely to lead to clinical toxicity and might lead to death.
This case highlights the problem of burning combustion sources in a poorly ventilated space, and shows that quite small amounts of charcoal briquettes can, once burning, produce toxic or lethal amounts of CO.
The burning of BBQ charcoal can give off carbon monoxide, which has no odour, and can be lethal. NEVER BURN CHARCOAL INDOORS OR IN VEHICLES OR TENTS. When burning BBQ charcoal, ensure BBQ area is well VENTILATED. Keep out of reach of children. Please take care when burning.1
Lessons from practice
Under circumstances of incomplete combustion and poorly ventilated spaces, charcoal briquettes can generate toxic concentrations of carbon monoxide (CO).
The amount of charcoal briquettes required to produce toxic concentrations of CO is quite small — about the amount normally used in conventional barbecues.
In cases of CO poisoning, the role of other health conditions, perhaps even undiagnosed conditions (eg, coronary disease, heart failure, obstructive lung disease), may be significant factors in the development and outcome of toxicity or death.
- 1. Jerram M, State Coroner. Finding of Case No. 1995/09. Sydney: State Coroner’s Court of New South Wales, 15 Dec 2010.
- 2. Weaver LK. Clinical practice. Carbon monoxide poisoning. N Engl J Med 2009; 360: 1217-1225.
- 3. Winter PM, Miller JN. Carbon monoxide poisoning. JAMA 1976; 236: 1502.
- 4. Gorman D, Drewry A, Huang YL, Sames C. The clinical toxicology of carbon monoxide. Toxicology 2003; 187: 25-38.
- 5. Lin JJ, Chang SS, Lu TH. The leading methods of suicide in Taiwan, 2002-2008. BMC Public Health 2010; 10: 480.
- 6. Law CK, Yip PS, Caine ED. The contribution of charcoal burning to the rise and decline of suicides in Hong Kong from 1997-2007. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2011; 46: 797-803.
- 7. Liu KS, Girman JR, Hayward SB, et al. Unintentional carbon monoxide deaths in California from charcoal grills and hibachis. J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 1993; 3 Suppl 1: 143-151.
- 8. Liu KS, Paz MK, Flessel P, et al. Unintentional carbon monoxide deaths in California from residential and other nonvehicular sources. Arch Environ Health 2000; 55: 375-381.
- 9. Gasman JD, Varon J, Gardner JP. Revenge of the barbeque grill. Carbon monoxide poisoning. West J Med 1990; 153: 656-657.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.