Tumour necrosis factor (TNF) α inhibitors such as infliximab are becoming more widely used for the treatment of selected patients with Crohn’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and other inflammatory disorders.
TNFα inhibitors increase the risk of serious infections, including tuberculosis.
Screening for and treatment of latent tuberculosis infection before infliximab therapy reduces the risk of developing active tuberculosis.
New blood tests that measure interferon γ production are an alternative to traditional tuberculin skin testing and offer some significant advantages over skin testing for screening of latent tuberculosis infection.
- 1. Luo JL, Maeda S, Hsu LC, et al. Inhibition of NF-κB in cancer cells converts inflammation-induced tumor growth mediated by TNFα to TRAIL-mediated tumor regression. Cancer Cell 2004; 6: 297-305.
- 2. ten Hove T, van Montfrans C, Peppelenbosch MP, van Deventer SJH. Infliximab treatment induces apoptosis of lamina propria T lymphocytes in Crohn’s disease. Gut 2002; 50: 206-211.
- 3. Jarnerot G, Hertervig E, Friis-Liby I, et al. Infliximab as rescue therapy in severe to moderately severe ulcerative colitis: a randomized, placebo-controlled study. Gastroenterology 2005; 128: 1805-1811.
- 4. Rutgeerts P, Sandborn WJ, Feagan BG, et al. Infliximab for induction and maintenance therapy for ulcerative colitis. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 2462-2476.
- 5. Hanauer SB, Sandborn WJ, Rutgeerts P, et al. Human anti-tumor necrosis factor monoclonal antibody (adalimumab) in Crohn’s disease: the CLASSIC-I trial. Gastroenterology 2006; 130: 323-333; quiz 591.
- 6. Sandborn WJ, Feagan BG, Stoinov S, et al. Certolizumab pegol for the treatment of Crohn’s disease. N Engl J Med 2007; 357: 228-238.
- 7. Nesbitt A, Fossati G, Bergin M, et al. Mechanism of action of certolizumab pegol (CDP870): in vitro comparison with other anti-tumor necrosis factor α agents. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2007; 13: 1323-1332.
- 8. Bongartz T, Sutton AJ, Sweeting MJ, et al. Anti-TNF antibody therapy in rheumatoid arthritis and the risk of serious infections and malignancies: systematic review and meta-analysis of rare harmful effects in randomized controlled trials. JAMA 2006; 295: 2275-2285.
- 9. Nathan DM, Angus PW, Gibson PR. Hepatitis B and C virus infections and anti-tumor necrosis factor-α therapy: guidelines for clinical approach. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006; 21: 1366-1371.
- 10. Lavagna A, Bergallo M, Daperno M, et al. Infliximab and the risk of latent viruses reactivation in active Crohn’s disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2007; 13: 896-902.
- 11. British Thoracic Society Standards of Care Committee. BTS recommendations for assessing risk and for managing Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection and disease in patients due to start anti-TNF-α treatment. Thorax 2005; 60: 800-805.
- 12. Dye C, Scheele S, Dolin P, et al. Consensus statement. Global burden of tuberculosis: estimated incidence, prevalence, and mortality by country. WHO Global Surveillance and Monitoring Project. JAMA 1999; 282: 677-686.
- 13. Perez JL, Kupper H, Spencer-Green GT. Impact of screening for latent TB before initiating anti-TNF therapy in North America and Europe. Ann Rheum Dis 2005; 64 Suppl 3: 265.
- 14. Carmona L, Gomez-Reino JJ, Rodriguez-Valverde V, et al. Effectiveness of recommendations to prevent reactivation of latent tuberculosis infection in patients treated with tumor necrosis factor antagonists. Arthritis Rheum 2005; 52: 1766-1772.
- 15. Mow WS, Abreu-Martin MT, Papadakis KA, et al. High incidence of anergy in inflammatory bowel disease patients limits the usefulness of PPD screening before infliximab therapy. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2004; 2: 309-313.
- 16. Mazurek GH, Jereb J, Lobue P, et al. Guidelines for using the QuantiFERON-TB Gold test for detecting Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection, United States. MMWR Recomm Rep 2005; 54 (RR-15): 49-55.
- 17. Oxford Immunotec [website]. http://www.oxfordimmunotec.com/ (accessed Dec 2007).
- 18. Menzies D, Pai M, Comstock G. Meta-analysis: new tests for the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection: areas of uncertainty and recommendations for research. Ann Intern Med 2007; 146: 340-354.
- 19. Rangaka MX, Diwakar L, Seldon R, et al. Clinical, immunological, and epidemiological importance of antituberculosis T cell responses in HIV-infected Africans. Clin Infect Dis 2007; 44: 1639-1646.
- 20. Piana F, Codecasa LR, Cavallerio P, et al. Use of a T-cell-based test for detection of tuberculosis infection among immunocompromised patients. Eur Respir J 2006; 28: 31-34.
- 21. Matulis G, Jüni P, Villiger PM, Gadola SD. Detection of latent tuberculosis in immunosuppressed patients with autoimmune diseases: performance of a Mycobacterium tuberculosis antigen-specific interferon γ assay. Ann Rheum Dis 2008: 67: 84-90.
- 22. Pai M, Lewinsohn DM. Interferon-γ assays for tuberculosis: is anergy the Achilles’ heel? Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2005; 172: 519-521.
- 23. Winthrop KL. Risk and prevention of tuberculosis and other serious opportunistic infections associated with the inhibition of tumor necrosis factor. Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol 2006; 2: 602-610.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.