To the Editor: Russell and colleagues recently wrote an open letter to the new Minister for Health.1 In response, we call for the Minister to champion the cause of Indigenous health.
- 1. Russell LM, Leeder SR, Armstrong BK, et al. The first 100 days: an open letter to the new Minister for Health [editorial]. Med J Aust 2007; 187: 608-609. <MJA full text>
- 2. Wenitong M, Mokak R, Councillor H, et al. Rising to the health challenge for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples: what will it take [editorial]? Med J Aust 2007; 186: 491-492. <MJA full text>
- 3. Hamlin C, Sheard S. Revolutions in public health: 1848, and 1998? BMJ 1998: 317: 587-591.
- 4. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Justice Commissioner. Social justice report 2005. Sydney: Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission, 2005. http://www.hreoc.gov.au/social_justice/sj_report/ sjreport05/index.html (accessed Dec 2007).
- 5. Wilkinson R, Marmot M, eds. Social determinants of health: the solid facts. 2nd ed. Copenhagen: World Health Organization. http://www.euro.who.int/document/e81384.pdf (accessed Dec 2007).
- 6. Newman L, Baum F, Harris E. Federal, state and territory government responses to health inequities and the social determinants of health in Australia. Health Promot J Aust 2006: 17: 217-225.
- 7. Australian National Audit Office. Whole of government Indigenous service delivery arrangements. Report no. 10 2007–08: performance audit. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2007. http://www.anao.gov.au/uploads/documents/2007-08_Audit_Report_101.pdf (accessed Dec 2007).
- 8. Aboriginal health: a decade-old election promise [editorial]. Lancet 2007; 370: 910.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.