Elisabeth Ng and her colleagues report their very important investigation of aldosterone, renin, and blood pressure in this issue of the MJA.1 Those of us who care for people with hypertension or teach medical students should read and ponder the entire report, but here I summarise its context, major findings, and their implications.
- 1. Ng E, Gwini SM, Stowasser M, et al. Aldosterone and renin concentrations and blood pressure in young Indigenous and non‐Indigenous adults in the Northern Territory: a cross‐sectional study. Med J Aust 2023; 219: 263‐269.
- 2. Conn JW. Presidential address. Primary aldosteronism, a new clinical syndrome. J Lab Clin Med 1955; 45: 3‐17.
- 3. Funder JW, Carey RM, Mantero F, et al. The management of primary aldosteronism: case detection, diagnosis and treatment: an Endocrine Society practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2016; 101: 1889‐1916.
- 4. Nishikawa T, Omura M, Satoh F, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of primary aldosteronism: the Japan Endocrine Society 2009. Endocr J 2011; 58: 711‐721.
- 5. Helber A, Wambach G, Hummerich W, et al. Evidence for a sub‐group of essential hypertensives with non‐suppressible excretion of aldosterone during sodium loading. Klin Wochenschr 1980; 58: 439‐447.
- 6. Brown JM, Siddiqui M, Calhoun DA, et al The unrecognized prevalence of primary aldosteronism: a cross‐sectional study. Ann Intern Med 2020; 173; 10‐20.
- 7. Hundemer GL, Curham SC, Yozamp N, et al. Cardiometabolic outcomes and mortality in medically treated primary aldosteronism: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2018; 6: 51‐59.
- 8. Unger T, Borgo C, Charchar F, et al. 2020 International Society of Hypertension global hypertension practice guidelines. J Hypertension 2020; 38: 982‐1004.
- 9. Funder JW, Carey RM. Primary aldosteronism: Where are we now? Where to from here? Hypertension 2022; 79: 726‐735.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.