The Health Care Home is a central component of our national health reforms, and refining the model for broader implementation is essential
It seems a long time since April 2016, when the then federal Health Minister accepted all 15 Primary Health Care Advisory Group recommendations to improve care for Australians with complex, chronic health conditions. Recommendations included a mix of initiatives in system integration, care targeting, outcome measurement, change management and payment redesign.1 Central to this reform was the Health Care Home (HCH) — a change in traditional arrangements between patients and their general practices or Aboriginal community controlled health services.1
- 1. Primary Health Care Advisory Group. Better outcomes for people with chronic and complex health conditions. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2016. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/76B2BDC12AE54540CA257F72001102B9/$File/Primary-Health-Care-Advisory-Group_Final-Report.pdf (accessed Feb 2017).
- 2. Royal Australian College of General Practitioners. Health Care Homes hailed as life-saving by RACGP [media release]. 31 Mar 2016. http://www.racgp.org.au/yourracgp/news/media-releases/health-care-homes-hailed-as-life-saving-by-racgp (accessed Feb 2017).
- 3. Riley G. Doctor-led Health Care Homes to address continuity of care gaps. Medicus 2016; 56(4): 10. http://www.amawa.com.au/medicusmay2016/files/assets/common/downloads/page0012.pdf (accessed Feb 2017).
- 4. Consumers Health Forum of Australia, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, Menzies Centre for Health Policy, George Institute for Global Health. Patient-centred Health Care Homes in Australia: towards successful implementation. July 2016. https://chf.org.au/sites/default/files/patient-centred-healthcare-homes-in-australia-towards-successful-implementation.pdf (accessed Feb 2017).
- 5. Council of Australian Governments. Heads of Agreement between the Commonwealth and the States on Public Hospital Funding. 1 Apr 2016. http://www.coag.gov.au/sites/default/files/communique/Heads%20of%20Agreement%20between%20the%20Commonwealth%20and%20the%20States%20on%20Public%20Hospital%20Funding%20-%201%20April%202016.pdf (accessed Feb 2017).
- 6. Australian Government Department of Health. Health Care Homes: patient-centred, coordinated, flexible [information booklet]. Canberra: DoH, 2016. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/1D9A22E753DFA9BDCA257FB100033A6A/$File/Health%20Care%20Homes%20info%20book.pdf (accessed Feb 2017).
- 7. Wells L, Jackson C. Health Care Homes: the medical breakthrough we need. Consumers Health Forum of Australia: news and media. 19 Dec 2016. https://chf.org.au/blog/health-care-homes-medical-breakthrough-we-need (accessed Feb 2017).
- 8. Australian Medical Association. AMA calls for adequate funding for health care home. 10 Nov 2016. https://ama.com.au/gp-network-news/ama-calls-adequate-funding-health-care-home (accessed Feb 2017).
- 9. Royal Australian College of General Practitioners. Government fails to deliver on Health Care Homes [media release]. 6 Nov 2016. http://www.racgp.org.au/yourracgp/news/media-releases/government-fails-to-deliver-on-health-care-homes-(1)/ (accessed Feb 2017).
- 10. Australian Medical Association. GP groups call for delay to Health Care Home trial. 1 Dec 2016. https://ama.com.au/gp-network-news/gp-groups-call-delay-health-care-home-trial (accessed Feb 2017).
- 11. Australian Government Department of Health. Health Care Homes factsheet: stage one modelling. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/1D9A22E753DFA9BDCA257FB100033A6A/$File/HCH-Modelling-factsheet.pdf (accessed Feb 2017).
- 12. Compass Health, Pegasus, ProCARE, Midlands Health Network. The Health Care Home. New Zealand Doctor. http://www.nzdoctor.co.nz/media/5726675/4_health_care_home_marketing_doc-08__2___2_.pdf (accessed Feb 2017).
- 13. Bell SK, Delbanco T, Walker J. OpenNotes: How the power of knowing can change health care. NEJM Catalyst 2016; 27 Oct. http://catalyst.nejm.org/opennotes-knowing-change-health-care (accessed Feb 2017).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.