The ASID perspective on the most important infectious diseases problem of 2017 and beyond
On 12 January 2017, the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that a woman in Nevada had died from an untreatable Gram-negative infection resistant to all available classes of antibiotics.1 The woman had sustained a fractured femur, complicated by osteomyelitis, while travelling in India, necessitating hospitalisation and intravenous antibiotic treatment. After returning to the US in mid-2016, she was admitted to hospital with systemic inflammatory response syndrome, probably secondary to a hip seroma that developed after the earlier surgery, and a pan-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae was isolated from a tissue specimen; the woman died of untreatable septic shock.
- 1. Chen L, Todd R, Kiehlbauch J, et al. Pan-resistant New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae — Washoe County, Nevada, 2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2017; 66: 33.
- 2. Review on Antimicrobial Resistance. Tackling drug-resistant infections globally: final report and recommendations. May 2016. https://amr-review.org/sites/default/files/160518_Final%20paper_with%20cover.pdf (accessed Jan 2017).
- 3. G20 Information Centre. G20 leaders’ communique: Hangzhou summit [media release]. 5 Sept 2016. http://www.g20.utoronto.ca/2016/160905-communique.html (accessed Jan 2017).
- 4. General Assembly of the United Nations. At UN, global leaders commit to act on antimicrobial resistance [media release]. 21 Sept 2016. http://www.un.org/pga/71/2016/09/21/press-release-hl-meeting-on-antimicrobial-resistance/ (accessed Jan 2017).
- 5. Australian Government, Department of Health. Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) [website]. Updated 9 Nov 2016. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/ohp-amr.htm#tocstrategy (accessed Jan 2017).
- 6. Australian Government, Departments of Health and Agriculture and Water Resources. Implementation plan: Australia’s first national antimicrobial resistance strategy 2015–2019. Nov 2016. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/1803C433C71415CACA257C8400121B1F/$File/AMR-Implementation-Plan.pdf (accessed Jan 2017).
- 7. McCullough AR, Pollack AJ, Plejdrup Hansen M, et al. Antibiotic prescribing for acute respiratory infections in Australian general practice: comparing current practice with guideline recommendations. Med J Aust 2017; in press.
- 8. Thursky K. Milestones, challenges in antimicrobial stewardship [online]. MJA Insight 2017; 23 Jan. http://www.doctorportal.com.au/mjainsight/2017/2/milestones-challenges-in-antimicrobial-stewardship/ (accessed Jan 2017).
- 9. Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases. Top 5 low-value practices and interventions [website]. https://evolve.edu.au/published-lists/asid (accessed Jan 2017).
- 10. Spelman D, Jenney AW, Burgner DP. Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases: low value interventions. Med J Aust 2017; 206: 282-283.
- 11. Australian Veterinary Association. Prescribing veterinary antibiotics. Nov 2013. http://www.ava.com.au/sites/default/files/AVA_website/pdfs/Prescribing%20veterinary%20antibiotics.pdf (accessed Jan 2017).
- 12. Australian Medical Association. Australian National Centre for Diseases Control (CDC) — 2017 [media release]. 4 Jan 2017. https://ama.com.au/position-statement/australian-national-centre-disease-control-cdc-2017 (accessed Jan 2017).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.