Ethical and moral implications make euthanasia a complex question
I sat alone in a windowless room for a week at a time reading coroners’ case files about how nursing home residents had died by suicide. There were times when I had to clock off early for the day because I was emotionally drained and I wanted to preserve my own sanity. There were times when a seemingly minor feature of someone’s story made me stop and shake my head in disbelief, and even brought me to tears. Some of the stories were tragic. Some were relatable, even understandable. Some were political statements, others a statement of the deficiencies of our aged care and mental health systems.
- 1. Murphy BJ, Bugeja L, Pilgrim J, Ibrahim JE. Completed suicide among nursing home residents: a systematic review. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2015; 30: 802-814.
- 2. United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs: Population Division. World population ageing 2013. Contract no.: ST/ESA/SER.A/348 New York: UN, 2013. http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/population/publications/pdf/ageing/WorldPopulationAgeing2013.pdf (accessed July 2016).
- 3. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Residential aged care in Australia 2010-11: a statistical overview (AIHW Cat. No. AGE 68; Aged Care Statistics Series No. 36). Canberra: AIHW, 2012. http://www.aihw.gov.au/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737422896 (accessed July 2016).
- 4. Australian Bureau of Statistics [website]. Causes of death, Australia. 2012 (Cat. No. 3303.0.55.001). http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/mf/3303.0.55.001/ (accessed October 2014).
- 5. World Health Organization. Preventing suicide: a global imperative. Executive summary. Geneva: WHO, 2014. http://www.who.int/mental_health/suicide-prevention/exe_summary_english.pdf?ua=1 (accessed July 2016).
- 6. Denton A. Better off dead [podcast]. Melbourne: Wheeler Centre, 2015. http://www.wheelercentre.com/broadcasts/podcasts/better-off-dead (accessed July 2016).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.