A not so safe safety pin!

Satvinder S Bakshi
Med J Aust 2016; 205 (11): . || doi: 10.5694/mja16.01065
Published online: 12 December 2016

A 3-year-old child presented with symptoms of dysphagia and drooling of saliva for 3 hours. The child was stable and video laryngoscopic examination was normal. The x-ray of the neck revealed a radio opaque foreign body in the food passage, which was consistent with an open safety pin (Box). The safety pin was successfully removed by rigid oesophagoscopy under general anaesthesia. Foreign body ingestion is one of the most common emergencies encountered in children1 and should always be suspected in a child with sudden onset of unexplained dysphagia.2

  • Mahatma Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute, Pillaiyarkuppam, Pondicherry, India


  • 1. Golz A, Netzer A, Gordin A, et al. Safe extraction of an impacted open safety pin from the esophagus: report of 9 cases. Am J Otolaryngol 2006; 27:413-417.
  • 2. Dereci S, Koca T, Serdaroğlu F, Akçam M. Foreign body ingestion in children. Turk Pediatri Ars 2015; 50: 234-240.


remove_circle_outline Delete Author
add_circle_outline Add Author

Do you have any competing interests to declare? *

I/we agree to assign copyright to the Medical Journal of Australia and agree to the Conditions of publication *
I/we agree to the Terms of use of the Medical Journal of Australia *
Email me when people comment on this article

Online responses are no longer available. Please refer to our instructions for authors page for more information.