Australia’s burden of asthma requires structural reform in health care delivery
Asthma control is the principal aim of asthma management. Uncontrolled asthma impairs quality of life, increases exacerbation frequency, heightens risk of death, and is four times more costly to treat than controlled asthma. Therefore, results from a web-based Australian asthma survey are disappointing and disquieting.1
- 1. Reddel HK, Sawyer SM, Everett PW, et al. Asthma control in Australia: a cross-sectional web-based survey in a nationally representative population. Med J Aust 2015; 202: 492-497. <MJA full text>
- 2. Woolcock A, Rubinfeld A, Seale JP, et al. Asthma management plan, 1989. Med J Aust 1989; 151: 50-53.
- 3. National Asthma Council Australia. Australian asthma handbook, version 1.1. Melbourne: NACA, 2015. http://www.asthmahandbook.org.au (accessed Aug 2015).
- 4. National Asthma Council Australia. National asthma strategy 2016–2020 [website]. http://www.nationalasthma.org.au/about-us/national-asthma-strategy (accessed Aug 2015).
- 5. Royal College of Physicians. Why asthma still kills: the National Review of Asthma Deaths (NRAD). Confidential enquiry report. London: RCP, 2014. https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/file/868/download?token=3wikiuFg (accessed Aug 2015).
- 6. Ley S, Department of Health. Developing a 21st century electronic health record system [media release]. 9 Oct 2015. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/ministers/publishing.nsf/Content/2FBE985B0A162EE6CA257ED9001CDA21/$File/SL122.pdf (accessed Oct 2015).
- 7. Papi A, Canonica GW, Maestrelli P, et al. Rescue use of beclomethasone and albuterol in a single inhaler for mild asthma. N Engl J Med 2007; 356: 2040-2052.
- 8. Kew KM, Karner C, Mindus SM, Ferrara G. Combination formoterol and budesonide as maintenance and reliever therapy versus combination inhaler maintenance for chronic asthma in adults and children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013; 12: CD009019.
- 9. Hew M, Bhavsar P, Torrego A, et al. Relative corticosteroid insensitivity of peripheral blood mononuclear cells in severe asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2006; 174: 134-141.
- 10. British Thoracic Society; Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. British guideline on the management of asthma: a national clinical guideline. October 2014 (SIGN 141). London: BTS; Edinburgh: SIGN, 2014. http://www.sign.ac.uk/pdf/SIGN141.pdf (accessed Aug 2015).
- 11. Gibeon D, Heaney LG, Brightling CE, et al. Dedicated severe asthma services improve healthcare utilisation and quality of life. Chest 2015; 148: 870-876.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.