There is no cause to feel impotent, despite disturbing media reports about methamphetamine
Methamphetamine has been around for some time. Although it is now available in a crystal form that is more potent and more readily smoked than earlier forms, no-one should feel impotent in the face of widespread alarmist commentary about this drug.
- 1. Commonwealth of Australia, Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Final report of the National Ice Taskforce 2015. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2015. https://www.dpmc.gov.au/sites/default/files/publications/national_ice_taskforce_final_report.pdf (accessed Dec 2015).
- 2. Scott N, Caulkins JP, Ritter A, et al. High-frequency drug purity and price series as tools for explaining drug trends and harms in Victoria, Australia. Addiction 2015; 110: 120-128.
- 3. NSW Ministry of Health. Crystalline methamphetamine. Background paper — NSW data. September 2015 (revised). Sydney: NSW MoH, 2015. http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/crystallinemethamphetamine/Publications/background-paper.pdf (accessed Dec 2015).
- 4. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Trends in methylamphetamine availability, use and treatment, 2003–04 to 2013–14. (Drug treatment series no. 26; Cat. no. HSE 165). Canberra: AIHW, 2015. http://www.aihw.gov.au/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=60129554227 (accessed Dec 2015).
- 5. Degenhardt L, Larney S, Chan G, et al. Estimating the number of regular and dependent methamphetamine users in Australia, 2002–2014. Med J Aust 2016; 204: 153.e1-153.e6.MJA Link
- 6. Holliday SP, Magin C, Oldmeadow J, et al. An examination of the influences on New South Wales general practitioners regarding the provision of opioid substitution therapy. Drug Alcohol Rev 2013; 32: 495-503.
- 7. National Health and Medical Research Council. Results of the 2015 NHMRC grant application round 2015. https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/file/grants/funding/2015/summary_of_results_2015_app_round_151109.xlsx (accessed Nov 2015).
- 8. Australian Government Department of Health. Taking action to combat ice [website]. 4 Dec 2015. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/tatci (accessed Dec 2015).
- 9. Ritter A. A national planning model for drug and alcohol treatment in Australia: the brave new world [unpublished presentation]. College on Problems of Drug Dependence, Palm Springs, USA, 9–14 June 2012.
- 10. Government of Western Australia Mental Health Commission. The Western Australian mental health, alcohol and other drug services plan 2015–2025. Perth, 2015. http://www.mentalhealth.wa.gov.au/Libraries/pdf_docs/Plan_27_11_2014_for_consultation_3.sflb.ashx (accessed Nov 2015).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.