Connect
MJA
MJA

Surviving accidental paraquat ingestion: a limited evidence zone

Elise Davey, Justin Davis and Deborah Friedman
Med J Aust 2015; 203 (8): 327. || doi: 10.5694/mja15.00589
Published online: 19 October 2015

A 17-year-old youth accidentally ingested paraquat, a herbicide which is an uncommon but potentially highly lethal cause of poisoning. He was initially managed at a regional hospital where, upon advice from a Victorian Poisons Information Centre toxicologist, he was commenced on dexamethasone, continuous venovenous haemodiafiltration (CVVHDF), and N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) and sodium salicylate infusions. He was transferred to a transplant centre for consideration of lung transplantation where he was maintained on CVVHDF, dexamethasone and NAC for 2 weeks. Fortunately, despite ingestion of a potentially lethal dose of paraquat at 36.48 mg/kg, he recovered with mild restrictive respiratory deficits, steroid side effects, and oropharyngeal burns as sequelae.

  • Elise Davey1
  • Justin Davis1
  • Deborah Friedman2

  • 1 Barwon Health, Geelong, VIC
  • 2 University Hospital Geelong, Geelong, VIC

Correspondence: justinbdavis19@gmail.com

Competing interests:

No relevant disclosures.

Author

remove_circle_outline Delete Author
add_circle_outline Add Author

Comment
Do you have any competing interests to declare? *

I/we agree to assign copyright to the Medical Journal of Australia and agree to the Conditions of publication *
I/we agree to the Terms of use of the Medical Journal of Australia *
Email me when people comment on this article

Responses are now closed for this article.