Champions needed to scale up childhood equity efforts, not short-term solutions in ill conceived policy
- 1. Harrison D. Prime Minister Tony Abbott sets target on Indigenous pupils' school attendance. Sydney Morning Herald 2014; 13 Feb. http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/prime-minister-tony-abbott-sets-target-on-indigenous-pupils-school-attendance-20140212-32icv.html (accessed Mar 2014).
- 2. Council of Australian Governments. Investing in the early years - a national early childhood development strategy. Canberra: COAG, 2009. https://www.coag.gov.au/node/205 (accessed Apr 2014).
- 3. Council of Australian Governments. Closing the gap: national partnership agreement on Indigenous childhood development. Canberra: COAG, 2009. https://www.coag.gov.au/node/143 (accessed Apr 2014).
- 4. Wise S. Improving the early life outcomes of Indigenous children: implementing early childhood development at the local level. Canberra: AIHW, 2013. http://www.aihw.gov.au/closingthegap/ItemDetails.aspx?id=300&type=pb (accessed Apr 2014).
- 5. Mustard F. Investing in the early years: closing the gap between what we know and what we do. Adelaide: Government of South Australia, 2007. http://www.thinkers.sa.gov.au/thinkers/mustard/report.aspx (accessed Apr 2014).
- 6. Winter P. 2010 Engaging families in the early childhood development story: a national project conducted on behalf of the Ministerial Council for Education, Early Childhood Development and Youth Affairs. http://www.mceecdya.edu.au/verve/_resources/ECD_Story-Neuroscience_and_early_childhood_dev.pdf (accessed Mar 2014).
- 7. Executive summary of The Lancet maternal and child nutrition series. London: Lancet 2013; Jun 6. http://www.thelancet.com/series/maternal-and-child-nutrition (accessed Apr 2014).
- 8. Bhutta ZA, Das JK, Rizvi A, et al. Evidence-based interventions for improvement of maternal and child nutrition: what can be done and at what cost? Lancet 2013; 382: 452-477.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.