Do Australian trends in cardiovascular disease have lessons for other countries?
On 4–7 May this year, Melbourne will host the World Congress of Cardiology, a tribute to the high international regard in which Australian cardiology research and practice are held. Australia's achievements in cardiology are considerable, with well substantiated claims for the invention of the world's first cardiac pacemaker in the 1920s1 and the establishment of the first coronary care unit in the 1960s.2
- 1. Mond HG, Wickham GG, Sloman JG. The Australian history of cardiac pacing: memories from a bygone era. Heart Lung Circ 2012; 21: 311-319.
- 2. Julian DG, Valentine PA, Miller GG. Routine electrocardiographic monitoring in acute myocardial infarction. Med J Aust 1964; 1: 433-436.
- 3. Rye KA, Barter PJ. Regulation of high-density lipoprotein metabolism. Circ Res 2014; 114: 143-156.
- 4. Esler M. Renal denervation for hypertension: observations and predictions of a founder. Eur Heart J 2014; Mar 4 [Epub ahead of print]. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehu091.
- 5. The Long-Term Intervention with Pravastatin in Ischaemic Disease (LIPID) Study Group. Prevention of cardiovascular events and death with pravastatin in patients with coronary heart disease and a broad range of initial cholesterol levels. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 1349-1357.
- 6. Wing LM, Reid CM, Ryan P, et al; Second Australian National Blood Pressure Study Group. A comparison of outcomes with angiotensin-converting–enzyme inhibitors and diuretics for hypertension in the elderly. N Engl J Med 2003; 348: 583-592.
- 7. Chew DP, French J, Briffa TG, et al. Acute coronary syndrome care across Australia and New Zealand: the SNAPSHOT ACS study. Med J Aust 2013; 199: 185-191. <MJA full text>
- 8. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Cardiovascular disease mortality: trends at different ages. Canberra: AIHW, 2010. (Cat. No. CVD 47.) http://www.aihw.gov.au/publication-detail/?id=6442468344 (accessed Apr 2014).
- 9. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Health at a glance 2013: OECD indicators. OECD Publishing, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/health_glance-2013-en (accessed Apr 2014).
- 10. National Heart Foundation of Australia. Smoking statistics [fact sheet]. Canberra: NHFA, 2012. http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/Factsheet-Smoking.pdf (accessed Mar 2014).
- 11. Chapman S. Public health advocacy and tobacco control: making smoking history. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2007.
- 12. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian social trends 2007. Selected chronic conditions among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Canberra: ABS, 2007. (ABS Cat. No. 4102.0.)
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.