Accidental discovery of an 1841 smallpox vaccine specimen prompts consideration of its historical context — and extreme caution
November 2010, Western Sydney
- 1. The population of Sydney. The Sydney Herald 1841; 8 May. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page1524990 (accessed Jan 2014).
- 2. McCulloch SC. Gipps, Sir George (1791-1847). Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University. http://adb.anu. edu.au/biography/gipps-sir-george-2098/text2645 (accessed Jul 2013).
- 3. Colonial statistics. The Sydney Herald 1841; 21 Jan. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page1524642 (accessed Jul 2013).
- 4. Prevalence of sickness in the town of Sydney. The Sydney Herald 1841; 15 May. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page3923418 (accessed Aug 2013).
- 5. Respecting vaccine virus. State Records NSW: Colonial Secretary; NRS 905, Main series of letters received, 1841 Medical [4/2531.4]. Letter No.41/4948, Deputy Inspector General of Hospitals [Dr Thompson], registered 17 May 1841.
- 6. Forwarding vaccine virus. State Records NSW: Colonial Secretary; NRS 905, Main series of letters received, 1841 Medical [4/2531.4]. Letter No. 41/5095 Deputy Inspector General of Hospitals [Dr Thompson], registered 21 May 1841.
- 7. Jenner E. An inquiry into the causes and effects of the variolæ vaccinæ, a disease discovered in some of the western counties of England, particularly Gloucestershire, and known by the name of the cow pox. London, England: Sampson Low, 1798.
- 8. [No heading] The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser 1803; 29 May. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page5701 (accessed Jul 2013).
- 9. Jamison T, Savage J. Postscript [letter]. The Sydney Gazette 1804; 3 Jun. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article626230 (accessed Jul 2013).
- 10. Bennett MJ. Smallpox and cowpox under the Southern Cross: the smallpox epidemic of 1789 and the advent of vaccination in colonial Australia. Bull Hist Med 2009; 83: 37-62.
- 11. Riedel S. Edward Jenner and the history of smallpox and vaccination. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent) 2005; 18: 21–25. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1200696 (accessed Jul 2013).
- 12. [No heading] The Australian 1841; 29 May. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page4257638 (accessed Jul 2013).
- 13. Small pox. The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser 1841; 2 Nov. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page695320 (accessed Jul 2013).
- 14. Vaccination. Australasian Chronicle 1841; 7 Oct. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article31733073 (accessed Jul 2013).
- 15. Vaccination [original correspondence]. The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser 1839; 27 Apr. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page693432 (accessed Jul 2013).
- 16. Cook A. The preservation of the vaccine lymph. The Sydney Morning Herald 1843; 6 Mar. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page1522198 (accessed Jul 2013).
- 17. Campbell JT. Government and general orders. The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser 1818; 21 Feb. http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/493681 (accessed Jul 2013).
- 18. To the public. The Sydney Herald 1841; 15 Nov. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page1523244 (accessed Jul 2013).
- 19. Fenner F, Henderson DA, Arita I, et al. Smallpox and its eradication. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1988.
- 20. Dudgeon JA. Development of smallpox vaccine in England in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Br Med J 1963; 1: 1367-1372.
- 21. Curson PH. Times of crisis: epidemics in Sydney, 1788-1900. Sydney: Sydney University Press, 1985.
- 22. Fenner F. The Florey Lecture, 1983. Biological control, as exemplified by smallpox eradication and myxomatosis. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 1983; 218: 259-285.
- 23. Henderson DA. The eradication of smallpox — an overview of the past, present, and future. Vaccine 2011; 29 Suppl 4: D7-D9.
- 24. Moisse K. Smallpox scab plucked from Virginia museum ‘Bizarre Bits’ exhibit [video]. ABC News (USA) 2011; 20 May. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/smallpox-scab-removed-virgina-museum-bizarre-bits-exhibit/story?id=13646873 (accessed Jul 2013).
- 25. Williamson E. Envelope tucked inside book may yield 1800s smallpox sample. The Seattle Times 2003; 27 Dec. http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2001824235_smallpox27.html (accessed Jul 2013).
- 26. Jacobs BL, Langland JO, Kibler KV, et al. Vaccinia virus vaccines: past, present and future. Antiviral Res 2009; 84: 1-13.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.