Major changes in health services are needed to redress health disparities
Two recently released reports from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) make it clear that there must be major changes in the way health services for Indigenous Australians are delivered and funded if we are to improve Indigenous health and health care and ensure real returns on the substantial investments that are being made.1,2
- 1. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Expenditure on health for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people 2010–11. Canberra: AIHW, 2013. (AIHW Cat. No. HWE 57; Health and Welfare Expenditure Series No. 48.) http://www.aihw.gov.au/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=60129542784 (accessed Aug 2013).
- 2. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Expenditure on health for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people 2010–11: an analysis by remoteness and disease. Canberra: AIHW, 2013. (AIHW Cat. No. HWE 58; Health and Welfare Expenditure Series No. 49.) http://www.aihw.gov.au/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=60129544363 (accessed Aug 2013).
- 3. Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet. Overview of Australian Indigenous health status 2012. Hospitalisation. http://www.healthinfonet.ecu.edu.au/health-facts/overviews/hospitalisation (accessed Aug 2013).
- 4. Australian Health Ministers’ Advisory Council. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Performance Framework Report 2010. Canberra: AHMAC, 2011. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/publications/publishing.nsf/Content/health-oatsih-pubs-framereport-toc/$FILE/HPF%20Report%202010august 2011.pdf (accessed Aug 2013).
- 5. Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet. What do we know about injury among Indigenous people? http://www.healthinfonet.ecu.edu.au/health-facts/health-faqs/injury (accessed Aug 2013).
- 6. Zhao Y, Wright J, Begg S, Guthridge S. Decomposing Indigenous life expectancy gap by risk factors: a life table analysis. Popul Health Metr 2013; 11: 1.
- 7. Australian Government. National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Plan 2013–2023. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2013. http://www. health.gov.au/natsihp (accessed Aug 2013).
- 8. Australian Bureau of Statistics. The health and welfare of Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, 2008. Population characteristics. (ABS Cat. No. 4704.0.) http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/0/E3FAB932D407C106CA25743900149C7E?opendocument (accessed Nov 2013).
- 9. National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation. Close the Gap. http://www.naccho.org.au/aboriginal-health/close-the-gap-campaign/ (accessed Aug 2013).
- 10. Delbanco T, Berwick DM, Boufford JI, et al. Healthcare in a land called PeoplePower: nothing about me without me. Health Expect 2001; 4: 144-150.
- 11. Lloyd J, Wise M. Improving Aboriginal health: how might the health sector do things differently? Aust Rev Public Affairs [internet] 2011; Feb. http://www. australianreview.net/digest/2011/02/lloyd_wise.html (accessed Aug 2013).
- 12. Scrimgeour M, Scrimgeour D. Health care access for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people living in urban areas, and related research issues: a review of the literature. Darwin: Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal Health, 2007. http://www.lowitja.org.au/sites/default/files/docs/DP5_final-pdf.pdf (accessed Sep 2013).
- 13. Cass A, Lowell A, Christie M, et al. Sharing the true stories: improving communication between Aboriginal patients and healthcare workers. Med J Aust 2002; 176: 466-470. <MJA full text>
- 14. Hunter P, Mayers N, Couzos S, et al. Aboriginal community controlled health services. In: General practice in Australia 2004. Canberra: Department of Health and Ageing, 2005: 337-356.
- 15. Weightman M. The role of Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services in Indigenous health. Aust Med Student J [internet] 2013; 4. http://www. amsj.org/archives/3012 (accessed Aug 2013).
- 16. Van den Berg R. Cultural safety in health for Aboriginal people: will it work in Australia? Med J Aust 2010; 193: 136-137. <MJA full text>
- 17. National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation. Investing in healthy futures for generational change. NACCHO 10 point plan 2013-2030. http://www.naccho.org.au/download/naccho_health_futures/NACCHO %20Healthy%20Futures%2010%20point%20plan%202013-2030.pdf (accessed Sep 2013).
- 18. Dwyer J, O’Donnell K, Lavoie J, et al. The overburden report: contracting for Indigenous health services. Darwin: Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal Health, 2009. http://www.flinders.edu.au/medicine/fms/sites/health_care_management/documents/Overburden%20Report_contracting%20for%20 Indigenous%20Health%20Services.pdf (accessed Aug 2013).
- 19. Fredericks B, Legge D. Revitalizing health for all: International Indigenous Representative Group. Learning from the experience of comprehensive primary health care in Aboriginal Australia—a commentary on three projects. Melbourne: The Lowitja Institute, 2011. http://www.lowitja.org.au/sites/default/files/docs/Revitalising_Health_report.pdf (accessed Sep 2013).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.