Design, setting and participants: A cross-sectional study of 345 Aboriginal Australians aged 16–20 years who, as participants in the prospective Aboriginal Birth Cohort Study, were recruited at birth between 1987 and 1990 and followed up between 2006 and 2008.
Main outcome measures: Self-reported social and emotional wellbeing using a questionnaire validated as culturally appropriate for the study’s participants; recorded body mass index and waist-to-hip ratio.
Results: Self-reported racism was reported by 32% of study participants. Racism was significantly associated with anxiety (odds ratio [OR], 2.18 [95% CI, 1.37–3.46]); depression (OR, 2.16 [95% CI, 1.33–3.53]); suicide risk (OR, 2.32 [95% CI, 1.25–4.00]); and poor overall mental health (OR, 3.35 [95% CI, 2.04–5.51]). No significant associations were found between self-reported racism and resilience or any anthropometric measures.
- 1. Williams DR, Mohammed SA. Discrimination and racial disparities in health: evidence and needed research. J Behav Med 2009; 32: 20-47.
- 2. Lowitja Institute: Australia’s National Institute for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Research. Program 2: healthy communities and settings. 2010. http://www.lowitja.org.au/crcatsih-program-2-healthy-communities-and-settings (accessed Jan 2011).
- 3. Berman G, Paradies Y. Racism, disadvantage and multiculturalism: towards effective anti-racist praxis. Ethn Racial Stud 2010; 33: 214-232.
- 4. Paradies Y. A systematic review of empirical research on self-reported racism and health. Int J Epidemiol 2006; 35: 888-901.
- 5. Pascoe EA, Smart Richman L. Perceived discrimination and health: a meta-analytic review. Psychol Bull 2009; 135: 531-554.
- 6. Pachter L, Garcia Coll C. Racism and child health: a review of the literature and future directions. J Dev Behav Pediatr 2009; 30: 255-263.
- 7. Sanders-Phillips K. Racial discrimination: a continuum of violence exposure for children of color. Clin Child Fam Psychol Rev 2009; 12: 174-195.
- 8. Paradies Y, Forrest J, Dunn K, et al. More than tolerance: racism and the health of young Australians. In: Mansouri F, editor. Youth identity and migration: culture, values and social connectedness. Melbourne: Common Ground Publishing, 2009: 207-226.
- 9. Australian Bureau of Statistics, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. The health and welfare of Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples 2008. Canberra: AGPS, 2008. (ABS Cat. No. 4704.0; AIHW Cat. No. IHW21.)
- 10. Paradies Y, Harris R, Anderson I. The impact of racism on Indigenous health in Australia and Aotearoa: towards a research agenda. Darwin: Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal Health, 2008. (CRCAH Discussion Paper Series: No. 4.) http://www.crcah.org.au/publications/downloads/Racism-Report.pdf (accessed Jan 2011).
- 11. Australian Bureau of Statistics. The health and welfare of Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, Oct 2010. Canberra: ABS, 2010. (ABS Cat. No. 4704.0.)
- 12. Paradies Y, Cunningham J. Experiences of racism among urban Indigenous Australians: findings from the DRUID study. Ethn Racial Stud 2009; 32: 548-573.
- 13. Larson A, Gilles M, Howard PJ, Coffin J. It’s enough to make you sick: the impact of racism on the health of Aboriginal Australians. Aust N Z J Public Health 2007; 31: 322-329.
- 14. Gallaher G, Ziersch A, Baum F, et al. In our own backyard: urban health inequities and Aboriginal experiences of neighbourhood life, social capital and racism. Adelaide: Flinders University, 2009. http://www.flinders.edu.au/shadomx/apps/fms/fmsdownload.cfm?file_uuid=7D9B11E4-D06E-DE10-6D14-ECA96181493F&siteName=medicine (accessed Jan 2011).
- 15. Zubrick SR, Silburn SR, Lawrence DM, et al. Western Australian Aboriginal child health survey: the social and emotional wellbeing of Aboriginal children and young people. Perth: Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, 2005.
- 16. Henderson G, Robson C, Cox L, et al. Social and emotional wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people within the broader context of the social determinants of health. In: Anderson I, Baum F, Bentley M, editors. Exploring the underlying social determinants of Aboriginal health. Papers from the social determinants of Aboriginal health workshop, Adelaide, July 2004. Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal Health, 2007. http://www.lowitja.org.au/files/crcah_docs/Beyond-Bandaids-CH8.pdf (accessed Jan 2011).
- 17. Priest N, Mackean T, Waters E, et al. Indigenous child health research: a critical analysis of Australian studies. Aust N Z J Public Health 2009; 33: 55-63.
- 18. Sayers SM, Mackerras D, Singh G, et al. An Australian Aboriginal birth cohort: a unique resource for a life course study of an Indigenous population. A study protocol. BMC Int Health Hum Rights 2003; 3: 1.
- 19. Sayers S, Singh G, Mackerras D, et al. Australian Aboriginal Birth Cohort study: follow-up processes at 20 years. BMC Int Health Hum Rights 2009; 9: 23.
- 20. Thomas A, Cairney S, Gunthorpe W, et al. Strong souls: development and validation of a culturally appropriate tool for assessment of social and emotional well being in indigenous youth. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2010; 44: 40-48.
- 21. Mackerras DEM, Reid A, Sayers SM, et al. Growth and morbidity in children in the Aboriginal Birth Cohort Study: the urban–remote differential. Med J Aust 2003; 178: 56-60. <MJA full text>
- 22. Minior T, Galea S, Stuber J, et al. Racial differences in discrimination experiences and responses among minority substance users. Ethn Dis 2003; 13: 521-527.
- 23. Preacher KJ, Hayes AF. Asymptotic and resampling strategies for assessing and comparing indirect effects in multiple mediator models. Behav Res Meth 2008; 40: 879-891.
- 24. DeMaris A. Explained variance in logistic regression: a Monte Carlo study of proposed measures. Sociol Methods Res 2002; 31: 27-74.
- 25. Friedli L. Mental health, resilience and inequalities. Copenhagen: World Health Organization, 2009. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/100821/E92227.pdf (accessed Jan 2011).
- 26. Huntsman L. Parents with mental health issues: consequences for children and effectiveness of interventions designed to assist children and their families — literature review. Sydney: New South Wales Department of Community Services, 2008. http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/docswr/_assets/main/documents/research_parentalmentalhealth.pdf (accessed Jan 2011).
- 27. Chambers EC, Tull ES, Fraser HS, et al. The relationship of internalized racism to body fat distribution and insulin resistance among African adolescent youth. J Natl Med Assoc 2004; 96: 1594-1598.
- 28. Gee GC, Ro A, Gavin A, Takeuchi T. Disentangling the effects of racial and weight discrimination on body mass index and obesity among Asian Americans. Am J Public Health 2008; 98: 493-500.
- 29. Shelton RC, Puleo E, Bennett GG, et al. The association between racial and gender discrimination and body mass index among residents living in lower-income housing. Ethn Dis 2009; 19: 251-257.
- 30. Krieger N, Smith K, Naishadham D, et al. Experiences of discrimination: validity and reliability of a self-report measure for population health research on racism and health. Soc Sci Med 2005; 61: 1576-1596.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.