The Australian Government has committed to reducing Indigenous disadvantage, including closing the life-expectancy gap within a generation, and to halving the gap in mortality rates for children under 5 years of age within a decade.
Sixty per cent of the health gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians is attributable to the health of Indigenous people living in non-remote areas of Australia.
We conducted a brief review of recent Australian original research publications on the health of the 53% of Indigenous people who live in urban areas, and found that data are sparse; there were only 63 studies in the past 5 years (11% of all articles about Indigenous health during this period).
Although Indigenous Australians living in remote areas experience greater health disparity, the government will not achieve its aims without paying due attention to the non-remote-living population.
More research is required, and particularly research that actually tests the impact of policies and programs.
- 1. Closing the gap on Indigenous disadvantage: the challenge for Australia. Canberra: Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs, 2009. http://fahcsia.gov.au/sa/indigenous/pubs/general/Documents/closing_the_gap/default.htm (accessed Aug 2010).
- 2. Vos T, Barker B, Stanley L, et al. The burden of disease and injury in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples 2003. Brisbane: School of Population Health, University of Queensland, 2007.
- 3. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Population distribution, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, 2006. Canberra: ABS, 2007. (ABS Cat. No. 4705.0.) http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4705.0Main+Features12006?OpenDocument (accessed Aug 2010).
- 4. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Population characteristics, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, 2001. Canberra: ABS, 2003. (ABS Cat. No. 4713.0.) http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/4713.02001?OpenDocument (accessed Aug 2010).
- 5. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Population characteristics, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, 2006. Canberra: ABS, 2008. (ABS Cat. No. 4713.0.). http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/productsbytitle/2B3D3A062FF56BC1CA256DCE007FBFFA?OpenDocument (accessed Aug 2010).
- 6. Zubrick SR, Lawrence DM, Silburn SR, et al. The Western Australian Aboriginal Child Health Survey: the health of Aboriginal children and young people. Perth: Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, 2004.
- 7. House of Representatives Standing Committee on Family and Community Affairs. Health is life: report on the inquiry into Indigenous health. Canberra: Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia, 2000. http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/fca/indhea/reportfinal.pdf (accessed Aug 2010).
- 8. The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Research Agenda Working Group (RAWG) of the NHMRC. The NHMRC road map a strategic framework for improving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health through research. Canberra: National Health and Medical Research Council, 2002. http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/file/publications/synopses/r28.pdf (accessed Aug 2010).
- 9. The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Research Agenda Working Group (RAWG) of the NHMRC. The final report of community consultations on the NHMRC road map. Canberra: National Health and Medical Research Council, 2002. http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/file/publications/synopses/r27.pdf (accessed Sep 2010).
- 10. Condon J. Cancer, health services and Indigenous Australians. Canberra: Department of Health and Ageing, 2004.
- 11. Eades S. Maternal and child health care services: actions in the primary health care setting to improve the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women of childbearing age, infants and young children. Canberra: Department of Health and Ageing, 2004.
- 12. Gray D, Saggers S, Atkinson D, et al. Substance misuse and primary health care among Indigenous Australians. Canberra: Department of Health and Ageing, 2004.
- 13. Priest N, Mackean T, Waters E, et al. Indigenous child health research: a critical analysis of Australian studies. Aust N Z J Public Health 2009; 33: 55-63.
- 14. Sanson-Fisher RW, Campbell EM, Htun AT, et al. We are what we do: research outputs of public health. Am J Prev Med 2008; 35: 380-385.
- 15. Sanson-Fisher RW, Campbell EM, Perkins JJ, et al. Indigenous health research: a critical review of outputs over time. Med J Aust 2006; 15: 502-505.
- 16. National Health and Medical Research Council. Fields of research (FOR). Canberra: NHMRC, 2008.
- 17. Black A, Khan S, Brown R, et al. An evaluation of opioid replacment pharmacotherapy in an urban Aboriginal Health Service. Aust N Z J Public Health 2007; 31: 428-432.
- 18. Cleworth S, Smith W, Sealey R. Grief and courage in a river town: a pilot project in the Aboriginal community of Kempsey, New South Wales. Australas Psychiatry 2006; 14: 390-394.
- 19. Davidson P, Digiacomo M, Abbott P, et al. A partnership model in the development and implementation of a collaborative cardiovascular education program for Aboriginal health workers. Aust Health Rev 2008; 32: 139-146.
- 20. McAullay D, Sibthorpe B, Knuiman M. Evaluation of a new diabetes screening method at Derbarl Yerrigan Health Service. Aust N Z J Public Health 2004; 28: 43-46.
- 21. Reath J, Carery M. Breast and cervical cancer in Indigneous women — overcoming barriers to early detection. Aust Fam Physician 2008; 37: 178-182.
- 22. Sullivan E, Blignault I, Duncan AS, Pulver LJ. The Graniators support group program. Promot Educ 2007; 14: 80-81.
- 23. Turner K, Richards M, Sanders M. Randomised clinical trial of a group parent education programme for Australian indigenous families. J Paediatr Child Health 2007; 43: 429-437.
- 24. Williams N, Nasir R, Smither G, et al. Providing opioid substitution treatment to Indigenous heroin users within a community health service setting in Adelaide. Drug Alcohol Rev 2006; 25: 227-232.
- 25. Bradshaw PJ, Wilkes ET, Thompson PL. Determinants of carotid intima-medial thickness in an urban Australian Aboriginal population. Atherosclerosis 2007; 192: 218-223.
- 26. Cagney M, MacIntyre CR, McIntyre PB, et al. Childhood asthma diagnosis and use of asthma medication. Aust Fam Physician 2005; 34: 193-196.
- 27. Coory M, Hockey R, Flenady V, et al. Post-neonatal mortality by rurality and Indigenous status in Queensland. J Paediatr Child Health 2006; 428: 464-468.
- 28. Davis TM, McAullay D, Davis WA, et al. Characteristics and outcome of type 2 diabetes in urban Aboriginal people: the Fremantle Diabetes Study. Intern Med J 2007; 37: 59-63.
- 29. Panaretto K, Lee H, Mitchell M, et al. Risk factors for preterm, low birth weight and small for gestational age birth in urban Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women in Townsville. Aust N Z J Public Health 2006; 30: 163-170.
- 30. Berry SL, Crowe TP. A review of engagement of Indigenous Australians within mental health and substance abuse services. Aust e-J Advancement of Mental Health 2009; 8: 1-12.
- 31. Eades SJ. Reconciliation, social equity and Indigenous health. Med J Aust 2000; 172: 468-469. <MJA full text>
- 32. Gallaher G, Ziersch A, Baum F, et al. In our own backyard: urban health inequalities and Aboriginal experiences of neighbourhood life social capital and racism. Adelaide: Southgate Institute for Health Society and Equality, Flinders University, 2009.
- 33. Hunter E. Aboriginal health and history: power and prejudice in remote Australia. Melbourne: Oxford University Press, 1993.
- 34. Parides Y, Cunningham J. Experiences of racism among urban Indigenous Australians; findings from the DRUID study. Ethn Racial Stud 2009; 32: 548-573.
- 35. Williamson A, Banks E, Redman S, et al. The study of environment on aboriginal resilience and child health (SEARCH) protocol. BMC Public Health 2010. In press.
- 36. Haysom L, Williams R, Hodson EM, et al. Natural history of chronic kidney disease in Australian Indigenous and non-Indigenous children: a 4-year population-based follow-up study. Med J Aust 2009; 190: 303-306. <MJA full text>
- 37. Comino EJ, Titmuss A, Harris E, et al. Identification of Aboriginal infants in an urban hospital. J Paediatr Child Health 2007; 43: 623-626.
- 38. Peiris DP, Patel AA, Cass A, et al. Cardiovascular disease risk management for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in primary health care settings: findings from the Kanyini Audit. Med J Aust 2009; 191: 304-309. <MJA full text>
- 39. Cunningham J, O’Dea K, Dunbar T, et al. Socioeconomic status and diabetes among urban Indigenous Australians aged 15–64 years in the DRUID study. Ethn Health 2008; 13: 23-37.
- 40. Cunningham J, O’Dea K, Dunbar T, et al. Study protocol — diabetes and related conditions in urban Indigenous people in the Darwin, Australia region: aims, methods and participation in the DRUID study. BMC Public Health 2006; 6: 8.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.