- 1. Hultman CS, Morgan R. Transanal intestinal evisceration following suction from an uncovered swimming pool drain: case report. J Trauma 1994; 37: 843-847.
- 2. Gomez-Juarez M, Cascales P, Garcia-Olmo D, et al. Complete evisceration of the small intestine through a perianal wound as a result of suction at a wading pool. J Trauma 2001; 51: 398-399.
- 3. Morris AM, Setty SP, Standage BA, Hansen PD. Acute transanal evisceration of the small bowel: report of a case and review of the literature. Dis Colon Rectum 2003; 46: 1280-1283.
- 4. Bronkhorst MW, Wilde JC, Hamming JF, Heij HA. Anorectal impalement in a pediatric patient with transanal evisceration of small bowel. J Pediatr Surg 2007; 42: e23-e25.
- 5. Ravikumar R, Robb A, Jawaheer G. Small bowel evisceration through the rectum in childhood. J Pediatr Surg 2008; 43: 562-563.
- 6. Cain WS, Howell CG, Ziegler MM, et al. Rectosigmoid perforation and intestinal evisceration from transanal suction. J Pediatr Surg 1983; 18: 10-13.
- 7. Davison A, Puntis JWL. Awareness of swimming pool suction injury among tour operators. Arch Dis Child 2003; 88: 584-586.
- 8. La Hei ER, Shun A. Intra-operative pulse oximetry can help determine intestinal viability. Pediatr Surg Int 2001; 17: 120-121.
- 9. Lehmann C, König JP, Dettmann J, et al. Effects of iloprost a stable prostacyclin analog on intestinal leukocyte adherence and microvascular blood flow in rat experimental endotoxemia. Crit Care Med 2001; 29: 1412-1416.
- 10. Valletta E, Zampieri N, Fornaro M, et al. Transanal intestinal evisceration from swimming pool skimmer suction: a spur to prevention. Acta Paediatr 2007; 96: 1376-1377.
- 11. Association of Pool and Spa Professionals Technical Committee report on suction outlet safety and the effectiveness of ANSI/APSP-7. Alexandria, Va: APSP, 2007. http://www.apsp.org/utility/showDocumentFile/?objectID=13 (accessed Mar 2010, link updated Apr 2010).
- 12. Cronise R, Schowalter D. Eliminating the risk of swimming pool drains. Fluent News 2006; Summer: 32-34. http://www.fluent.com/about/news/newsletters/06v15i2/a10.pdf (accessed Mar 2010).
- 13. Australian Standard AS 1926.3—2003. Swimming pool safety. Part 3: water recirculation systems. Sydney: Standards Australia International, 2003.
- 14. Mello MJ, Getz MA, Lapidus G, et al. Innovations in injury prevention education. J Trauma 2007; 63 (3 Suppl): S7-S9.
- 15. Pearn JH, Nixon JW, Franklin RC, Wallis B. Safety legislation, public health policy and drowning prevention. Int J Inj Contr Saf Promot 2008; 15: 122-123.
- 16. van Weerdenburg K, Mitchell R, Wallner F. Backyard swimming pool safety inspections: a comparison of management approaches and compliance levels in three local government areas in NSW. Health Promot J Austr 2006; 17: 37-42.
- 17. Peat BG, Muller MJ, Skinner AM. Burns treatment for children: a comparative study of initial burns first aid, hospital care and changes following an education campaign [abstract PS027]. ANZ J Surg 2006; 76 Suppl 1: A51.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.