Good-quality data on tobacco sales are vital for evaluating tobacco control interventions
The prevalence of smoking in Australia is among the lowest for high-income countries. In 2007, 17.9% of Australians aged 14 years or older were current smokers, compared with 23.6% in 1998. Yet tobacco remains Australia’s leading risk factor for premature death and disability, accounting for 7.8% of the total disease burden,1 nearly twice the combined burden caused by alcohol (2.2%) and illicit drugs (2.0%).
- 1. Begg S, Vos T, Barker B, et al. The burden of disease and injury in Australia 2003. Canberra: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 2007. http://www.aihw.gov.au/publications/index.cfm/title/10317 (accessed Sep 2009).
- 2. PricewaterhouseCoopers. Sales of cigarettes and tobacco products by type of retail business: an analysis of the significance of sales of cigarettes and tobacco products to tobacco retailers in Australia. Sydney: PricewaterhouseCoopers, 2005. http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/committee.nsf/0/2b14b998dda58536ca2571620017ecd2/$FILE/Sub%2046%20BATA%20-%20Attachment%202.pdf (accessed Aug 2009).
- 3. Commonwealth Treasury. Budget paper No. 1: budget strategy and outlook 2009–10. Statement 5: revenue. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2009. http://www.budget.gov.au/2009-10/content/bp1/html/bp1_bst5-06.htm (accessed Sep 2009).
- 4. Chapman S, Freeman B. Regulating the tobacco retail environment: beyond reducing sales to minors. Tob Control 2009; 18: 496-501. doi: 10.1136/tc.2009.031724.
- 5. Brown D. Cellphones’ growth does a number on health research. Washington Post 2009; 12 Jan. www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/11/AR2009011102082.html (accessed Sep 2009).
- 6. National Preventative Health Taskforce. Tobacco: towards world’s best practice in tobacco control. In: Australia: the healthiest country by 2020 — National Preventative Health Strategy — the roadmap for action. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2009: 169-234.
- 7. IBISWorld. Tobacco product manufacturing in Australia: Australian industry report. Melbourne: IBISWorld, 2009. http://www.ibisworld.com.au/industry/retail.aspx?indid=120&chid=1 (accessed Sep 2009).
- 8. Euromonitor International. Tobacco — Australia, Global Market Information Database. London: Euromonitor International, 2009. Subscription only. http://www.euromonitor.com (accessed Oct 2009).
- 9. Miller CL, Hill DJ, Quester PG, Hiller JE. Response of mass media, tobacco industry and smokers to the introduction of graphic cigarette pack warnings in Australia. Eur J Public Health 2009; 19: 644-649. doi: 10.1093/eurpub/ckp089.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.