Connect
MJA
MJA

Curtain cords and accidental childhood hanging

Roger W Byard
Med J Aust 2009; 190 (7): 397-398.
Published online: 6 April 2009

To the Editor: Accidental asphyxia in very young children is an ongoing problem caused by hazardous sleeping environments and toddlers’ inability to understand dangers or to physically extricate themselves once entrapped. Two common problems involve children becoming wedged between mattresses and cot sides or walls, and hanging from clothing caught on projections inside cots.1 Autopsy in such cases requires careful death scene evaluation to prevent confusion with sudden infant death syndrome and to identify any evidence of inflicted injury, if present. National legislation requiring both new and second-hand cots to meet Australian safety standards has reduced the numbers of unsafe cots on the market.

  • Roger W Byard

  • University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA.


Author

remove_circle_outline Delete Author
add_circle_outline Add Author

Comment
Do you have any competing interests to declare? *

I/we agree to assign copyright to the Medical Journal of Australia and agree to the Conditions of publication *
I/we agree to the Terms of use of the Medical Journal of Australia *
Email me when people comment on this article

Responses are now closed for this article.