Ingestion of magnets in children: a growing concern

Manjunath B Siddaiah-Subramanya and Peter Borzi
Med J Aust 2009; 190 (2): . || doi: 10.5694/j.1326-5377.2009.tb02291.x
Published online: 19 January 2009

To the Editor: Accidental ingestion of foreign bodies is common in children. Most pass through the gastrointestinal tract spontaneously,1 but some, such as magnets and batteries, can cause serious problems. We treated three children, aged 4–11 years, who ingested magnets that caused multiple bowel perforations.

  • Manjunath B Siddaiah-Subramanya
  • Peter Borzi

  • Mater Children’s Hospital, Brisbane, QLD.



remove_circle_outline Delete Author
add_circle_outline Add Author

Do you have any competing interests to declare? *

I/we agree to assign copyright to the Medical Journal of Australia and agree to the Conditions of publication *
I/we agree to the Terms of use of the Medical Journal of Australia *
Email me when people comment on this article

Online responses are no longer available. Please refer to our instructions for authors page for more information.