Many people use prayer, and some studies have shown a positive association between prayer and improved health outcomes. This article explores four possible mechanisms by which prayer may lead to improved health.
While acknowledging the efficacy of prayer and recognising the needs of patients, prayer, being a personal spiritual practice, cannot be prescribed, nor should it be used in place of medical care.
- 1. Peach HG. Religion, spirituality and health: how should Australia’s medical profession respond? Med J Aust 2003; 178: 86-88. <MJA full text>
- 2. Koenig HG. Religion, spirituality and health: an American physician’s response. Med J Aust 2003; 178: 51-52. <MJA full text>
- 3. Koenig HG, McCullough M, Larson DB. Handbook of religion and health. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001.
- 4. Levin JS. God, faith, and health: exploring the spirituality–healing connection. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 2001.
- 5. Powell LH, Shahabi L, Thoresen CE. Religion and spirituality: linkages to physical health. Am Psychol 2003; 58: 36-52.
- 6. Ellison CG, Levin JS. The religion–health connection: evidence, theory, and future direction. Health Educ Behav 1998; 25: 700-720.
- 7. Prayer and spirituality in health: ancient practices, modern science. CAM NIH 2005; 12: 1-5. http://nccam.nih.gov/news/newsletter/2005_winter/prayer.htm (accessed Mar 2007).
- 8. Ai AL, Tice TN, Peterson C, et al. Prayers, spiritual support, and positive attitudes in coping with the September 11 national crisis. J Pers 2005; 73: 763-791.
- 9. Barnes PM, Powell-Griner E, McFann K, Nahin RL. Complementary and alternative medicine use among adults: United States, 2002. Adv Data 2004; May 27: 1-19.
- 10. McCaffrey AM, Eisenberg DM, Legedza AT, et al. Prayer for health concerns: results of a national survey on prevalence and patterns of use. Arch Intern Med 2004; 164: 858-862.
- 11. Krucoff MW, Crater SW, Lee KI. From efficacy to safety concerns: a STEP forward or a step back for clinical research and intercessory prayer? The Study of Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP). Am Heart J 2006; 151: 762-764.
- 12. Benson H, Dusek JA, Sherwood JB, et al. Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP) in cardiac bypass patients: a multicenter randomized trial of uncertainty and certainty of receiving intercessory prayer. Am Heart J 2006; 151: 934-942.
- 13. Koenig HG. Pregnant on a prayer. Science Spirit 2002; Jan/Feb.
- 14. O’Mathuna DP. Prayer research: what are we measuring? J Christ Nurs 1999; 16: 17-21.
- 15. Benson H. The relaxation response. New York: Avon Books, 1975.
- 16. Seeman TE, Dubin LF, Seeman M. Religiosity/spirituality and health. A critical review of the evidence for biological pathways. Am Psychol 2003; 58: 53-63.
- 17. Weil A. Health and healing. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1988.
- 18. Astin JA, Harkness E, Ernst E. The efficacy of “distant healing”: a systematic review of randomized trials. Ann Intern Med 2000; 132: 903-910.
- 19. Byrd RC. Positive therapeutic effects of intercessory prayer in a coronary care unit population. South Med J 1988; 81: 826-829.
- 20. Cha KY, Wirth DP. Does prayer influence the success of in vitro fertilization-embryo transfer? Report of a masked, randomized trial. J Reprod Med 2001; 46: 781-787.
- 21. McCullough ME. Prayer and health: conceptual issues, research review and research agenda. J Psychol Theol 1995; 23: 15-29.
- 22. Pert CB. Molecules of emotion: the science behind mind–body medicine. New York: Touchstone, Simon and Schuster, 1999.
- 23. O’Laoire S. An experimental study of the effects of distant intercessory prayer on self-esteem, anxiety and depression. Altern Ther Health Med 1997; 3: 38-53.
- 24. Koenig HG. An 83-year-old woman with chronic illness and strong religious beliefs. JAMA 2002; 288: 487-493.
- 25. D’Souza R. Do patients expect psychiatrists to be interested in spiritual issues? Aust Psych 2002; 10: 44-47.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.