Government, industry and the community can work together to reduce price disparities
An Aboriginal Health Worker, Marinka Burton, shops at one of the Mai Wiru (good food) stores in the Pitjantjatjara Lands, South Australia. Details of the Mai Wiru program can be found at http://www.nganampahealth.com.au
- 1. Harrison MS, Coyne T, Lee AJ, et al. The increasing cost of the basic foods required to promote health in Queensland. Med J Aust 2007; 186: 9-14.
- 2. Tregenza J, Tregenza E. Anangu Pitjantjatjara Services Resource Management Project. Budgeting household resources. Alice Springs: N Kutjara Consultants, 1998.
- 3. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Household expenditure survey, Australia: summary of results, 2003–04 (reissue). (ABS Cat. No. 6530.0.) http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/6530.02003-04%20(Reissue)?OpenDocument (accessed Nov 2006).
- 4. Brimblecombe J, Mackerras D, Clifford P, O’Dea K. Does the store-turnover method still provide a useful guide to food intakes in Aboriginal communities? Aust N Z J Public Health 2006; 30: 444-447.
- 5. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Australia’s health 2004. Sec 4, Pt 4. Population health: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. (AIHW Cat. No. AUS 44.) http://www.aihw.gov.au/publications/index.cfm/title/10014 (accessed Oct 2006).
- 6. Drewnowski A, Specter SE. Poverty and obesity: the role of energy density and energy costs. Am J Clin Nutr 2004; 79: 6-16.
- 7. Leonard D. FoodNorth: food for health in north Australia. Perth: WA Department of Health, 2003. Part 1: http://www.population. health.wa.gov.au/promotion/resources/foodnorthpart1.pdf. Part 2: http://www.population.health.wa.gov.au/promotion/resources/foodnorthpart2.pdf (accessed Oct 2006).
- 8. McMillan SJ. Food and nutrition policy issues in remote aboriginal communities: lessons from Arnhem Land. Aust J Public Health 1991; 15: 281-285.
- 9. Australian Department of Health and Ageing. Healthy living initiatives. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/healthyactive/publishing.nsf/content/a962641b529d56c9ca2571b0001126de/$file/healthy-living-initiatives.pdf (accessed Oct 2006).
- 10. Indigenous Business Australia. Innovative approach to Indigenous community stores. Media release, 10 May 2006. http://www.iba.gov.au/files/MediaRelease_Budget02.pdf (accessed Oct 2006).
- 11. National Rural Health Alliance Inc. Remote Indigenous Stores and Takeaways (RIST) National Transport Forum Project. Freight improvement tool kit: getting quality health food to remote Indigenous communities. July 2006. http://www.ruralhealth.org.au/nrhapublic/Index.cfm?Category=OtherMedia (accessed Oct 2006).
- 12. Nexus Management Consulting. A national food and nutrition monitoring and surveillance system: a framework and a business case. Final report. April 2006. http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au/nphp/publications/documents/att3_fnms_final_report0406.pdf (accessed Oct 2006).
- 13. National Public Health Partnership. National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander nutrition strategy and action plan: a summary, 2000–2010. http://www.nphp.gov.au/publications/signal/natsinsa2.pdf (accessed Oct 2006).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.