Objective: To review the results of opinion polls on community attitudes to in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) and other aspects of assisted reproductive technology over a 20-year period.
Design, setting and participants: Fourteen Australia-wide interview surveys that included questions relating to IVF were carried out between July 1981 and November 2001 as part of regular Morgan polls of community attitudes on various topics. Each survey involved about 1000 respondents drawn from randomly selected “cluster points” in urban and rural locations.
Main outcome measures: The proportion of people who approved or disapproved of various aspects of IVF treatment.
Results: Support for IVF to help infertile married couples increased from 77% in 1981 to 86% in 2001. Approval for IVF procedures being supported by Medicare funding rose from 70% in 1981 to 79% in 2000.
Conclusions: Community approval of the use of IVF to treat infertility has risen significantly in Australia over the past 20 years.
- 1. Steptoe PC, Edwards RG. Birth after the reimplantation of a human embryo. Lancet 1978; 2: 366.
- 2. Lopata A, Johnston WIH, Hoult IJ, Speirs AL. Pregnancy following intrauterine implantation of an embryo obtained by in vitro fertilization of a preovulatory egg. Fertil Steril 1980; 33: 117-120.
- 3. Wood C, Trounson A, Leeton J, et al. A clinical assessment of nine pregnancies obtained by in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer. Fertil Steril 1981; 35: 502-508.
- 4. Klein RD. Infertility. Women speak out. London: Pandora, 1989.
- 5. Kovacs GT, Wood C, Morgan G, Brumby M. The attitudes of the Australian community to treatment of infertility by in vitro fertilization and associated procedures. J In Vitro Fert Embryo Transf 1985; 2: 214-217.
- 6. Brumby M. Australian community attitudes to in-vitro fertilization. Med J Aust 1983; 2: 650-653.
- 7. DerSimonian R, Laird N. Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials 1986; 7: 177-188.
- 8. Roy Morgan Research Centre. Australians endorse using human embryos for treating disease. Finding No. 3481, 13 Dec 2001. Available at: oldwww.roymorgan.com/polls/2001/3481 (accessed Sep 2003).
- 9. Dean JH, Sullivan EA. Assisted conception Australia and New Zealand 2000 and 2001. Sydney: AIHW National Perinatal Statistics Unit, 2003. Available at: www.npsu.unsw.edu.au/ac7high.htm (accessed Oct 2003).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.