Ovarian cancer is the leading cause of death from gynaecological malignancies.
No precancerous lesions have been identified.
Bimanual examination has not been proven to be of value as a screening test.
Transvaginal ultrasound examination, with or without measurement of CA 125 levels, is currently being evaluated for population screening.
Women at high risk of ovarian cancer should be screened annually — with measurement of CA 125 level and transvaginal ultrasound examination.
- 1. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare and Australasian Association of Cancer Registries. Cancer in Australia 1998. Incidence and mortality data for 1998. Canberra: AIHW, 2001: 1-97. (AIHW Catalogue No. CAN-12).
- 2. Grover SR, Quinn MA. Is there any value in bimanual pelvic examination as a screening test? Med J Aust 1995; 162: 408-410.
- 3. Bromley B, Goodman H, Benacerraf BR. Comparison between sonographic morphology and Doppler waveform for the diagnosis of ovarian malignancy. Obstet Gynecol 1994; 83: 434-437.
- 4. Menon U, Jacobs I. Ovarian cancer screening in the general population. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2000; 15: 350-353.
- 5. Menon U, Jacobs IJ. Ovarian cancer screening in the general population: current status. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2001; 11 (Suppl 1): 3-6.
- 6. Gohagan JK, Prorok PC, Hayes RB, Kramer BS. The Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Cancer Screening trial of the National Cancer Institute: history, organization, and status. Control Clin Trials 2000; 21 (6 Suppl): 251S-272S.
- 7. McNeil C. Ovarian cancer screening trials in progress [news]. J Natl Cancer Inst 1995; 87: 1284.
- 8. Chen WY, Garber JE, Higham S, et al. BRCA1/2 genetic testing in the community setting. J Clin Oncol 2002; 20: 4485-4492.
- 9. Mills GGB, Vast RC Jnr, Srivastava S. Future for ovarian cancer screening: novel markers from emerging technologies of transcriptional profiling and proteomics. J Int Cancer Inst 2001; 93: 1437-1439.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.