In this issue of the MJA, Reid and colleagues describe private and public hospital bed utilisation in Australia during 1993–2020, with a particular interest in use by older people.1 They report that, despite overall bed utilisation rising from 21.0 million to 29.9 million bed‐days during this period, population utilisation rates for multiple day admissions declined, by almost 40% for people aged 65 years or more and by 17% for those under 65 years of age, primarily because mean hospital stays were shorter. However, the decline in length of stay was minimal in recent years, suggesting that the potential for efficiency gains from this source is now close to exhausted. Without analysing linked data the authors could not determine to what extent administrative transfers within hospitals or same‐day transfers between co‐located hospitals contributed to reduced length of stay.1
- 1. Reid N, Gamage T, Duckett SJ, Gray LC. Hospital utilisation in Australia, 1993–2020, with a focus on use by people over 75 years of age: a review of AIHW data. Med J Aust 2023; 219: 113‐119.
- 2. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Older Australians. Updated 30 Nov 2021. https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/older‐people/older‐australians/contents/demographic‐profile#Australia%E2%80%99s%20older%20population (viewed Apr 2023).
- 3. Taylor D, Barrie H, Lange J, et al. Geospatial modelling of the prevalence and changing distribution of frailty in Australia: 2011 to 2027. Exp Gerontol 2019; 123: 57‐65.
- 4. World Health Organization. UN Decade of Healthy Ageing: plan of action 2021–2030. 2020. https://cdn.who.int/media/docs/default‐source/decade‐of‐healthy‐ageing/decade‐proposal‐final‐apr2020‐en.pdf?sfvrsn=b4b75ebc_28 (viewed June 2023).
- 5. Deloitte Access Economics. General practitioner workforce report 2022. May 2022. https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/au/Documents/Economics/deloitte‐au‐cornerstone‐health‐gp‐workforce‐06052022.pdf (viewed Apr 2023).
- 6. Inacio MC, Lang C, Bray SCE, et al. Health status and healthcare trends of individuals accessing Australian aged care programmes over a decade: the Registry of Senior Australians historical cohort. Aus J Ageing 2021; 51: 712‐724.
- 7. Thapaliya K, Cornell V, Lang C, et al. Aged and health care service utilization by older Australians receiving home care packages. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2023; 24: 395‐399.
- 8. Visvanathan R, Amare AT, Lang C, et al. Utilisation of general practice health assessments around an aged care assessment is associated with lower mortality risk in older Australians. Age Ageing 2021; 50: 120‐126.
- 9. Royal Australian College of General Practitioners. Shared Care Model between GP and non‐GP specialists for complex chronic conditions. Position statement. Feb 2023. https://www.racgp.org.au/advocacy/position‐statements/view‐all‐position‐statements/clinical‐and‐practice‐management/shared‐care‐model‐between‐gp‐and‐non‐gp‐specialist (viewed Apr 2023).
- 10. KPMG Review of the Transition Care Program: final report. Mar 2019. https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2019/12/review‐of‐the‐transition‐care‐programme‐final‐report_0.pdf (viewed Apr 2023).
- 11. Coleman EA, Parry C, Chalmers S, Min SJ. The care transitions intervention: results of a randomised controlled trial. Arch Intern Med 2006; 166: 1822‐1828.
- 12. Peabody FW. The care of the patient. JAMA 1927; 88: 877‐882.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.