Identifying and protecting people from conversion practices is an ethical obligation for health care professionals
I knew I was gay in high school. There was no confusion or struggle internally, I just was. The pain came from trying to work out what to do about it. Unfortunately, I was exposed to many complex and conflicting ideas about what being gay meant for me and my life.
- 1. Power J, Jones TW, Jones T, et al. Better understanding of the scope and nature of LGBTQA+ religious conversion practices will support recovery. Med J Aust 2022; https://doi.org/10.5694/mja2.5144 [Epub ahead of print]. https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2022/217/3/better‐understanding‐scope‐and‐nature‐lgbtqa‐religious‐conversion‐practices‐will
- 2. United Nations General Assembly. Practices of so‐called “conversion therapy”: report of the Independent Expert on protection against violence and discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity — Human Rights Council, 44th session. Geneva: United Nations, 2020. https://undocs.org/A/HRC/44/53 (viewed Feb 2022).
- 3. Jones TW, Brown A, Carnie L, et al. Preventing harm, promoting justice: responding to LGBT conversion therapy in Australia. Melbourne: La Trobe University and Human Rights Law Centre, 2018. https://static1.squarespace.com/static/580025f66b8f5b2dabbe4291/t/5bd78764eef1a1ba57990efe/1540851637658/LGBT+conversion+therapy+in+Australia+v2.pdf (viewed Feb 2022).
- 4. Jones TW, Jones TM, Power J, et al. Healing spiritual harms: supporting recovery from LGBTQA+ change and suppression practices [Report No. 0645025666]. Melbourne: La Trobe University, 2021. https://www.latrobe.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/1201588/Healing‐spiritual‐harms‐Supporting‐recovery‐from‐LGBTQA‐change‐and‐suppression‐practices.pdf (viewed Feb 2022).
- 5. Australian Medical Association. LGBTQIA+ health — 2021 [position statement]. Canberra: AMA, 2021. https://www.ama.com.au/articles/lgbtqia‐health‐2021 (viewed Feb 2022).
- 6. Australian Psychological Society. Use of psychological practices that attempt to change or suppress sexual orientation or gender: position statement. Melbourne: APS, 2021. https://psychology.org.au/about‐us/what‐we‐do/advocacy/position‐statements/psychological‐practices‐conversion‐practices (viewed Feb 2022).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.