What is value in health care and how can the system deliver it at scale?
The New South Wales health system exemplifies the worldwide challenge of health service sustainability. With 234 public hospitals and facilities employing over 130 000 staff, the system provides universal access to health care for a growing population of almost 8 million people across a diverse geography of over 800 000 km2. The NSW Health budget in 2018–19 was $25 billion,1 representing over 25% of the annual state budget. As with all health systems, NSW Health is experiencing growing pressure from chronic disease, an ageing population and the use of new technology. In response, optimising health system access and efficiency has been central to health reform in NSW.2
- 1. NSW Government. Budget 2018–19. Budget Paper 1. Chapter 6 – Expenditure. https://www.budget.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/budget-2018-06/6._Expenditure-BP1-Budget_201819.pdf (viewed Apr 2019).
- 2. Garling P. First Report of the Special Commission of Inquiry into Acute Care Services in New South Wales Public Hospitals. Sydney: State of NSW, 2008. https://www.dpc.nsw.gov.au/publications/special-commissions-of-inquiry/special-commission-of-inquiry-into-acute-care-services-in-new-south-wales-public-hospitals/ (viewed Apr 2019).
- 3. Porter M. What is value in health care? N Engl J Med 2010; 363: 2477–2481.
- 4. World Economic Forum, Boston Consulting Group. Value in healthcare: mobilizing cooperation for health system transformation. Cologny‐Geneva: WEF, 2018. https://www.weforum.org/reports/value-in-healthcare-mobilizing-cooperation-for-health-system-transformation (viewed Dec 2019).
- 5. Gray M. Value based healthcare. BMJ 2017; 356: j437.
- 6. Li LC, Maetzel A, Pencharz JN, Maguire L, et al. Use of mainstream nonpharmacologic treatment by patients with arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 51: 203–209.
- 7. Cavalieri TA. Pain management at the end of life. Clin Geriatr 2005; 13: 44–52.
- 8. Deloitte Access Economics, for the NSW Agency for Clinical Innovation. Osteoarthritis Chronic Care Program evaluation. Deloitte Access Economics, 2014. https://www.aci.health.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/338242/OACCP_Evaluation.pdf (viewed Dec 2019).
- 9. NEJM Catalyst. What is value based healthcare? January 2017. https://catalyst.nejm.org/what-is-value-based-healthcare/; (viewed Apr 2019).
- 10. Australian Government Department of Health. Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) Review. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 2019. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/MBSReviewTaskforce (viewed Dec 2019).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.