Better education may close the life expectancy gap by up to 12 years
In an inquiry into Indigenous health in 1979, the House Standing Committee on Aboriginal Affairs noted: “When innumerable reports on the poor state of Aboriginal health are released there are expressions of shock or surprise and outraged cries for immediate action. However, the reports appear to have no real impact and the appalling state of Aboriginal health is soon forgotten until another report is released”.1
- 1. House of Representatives Standing Committee on Aboriginal Affairs. Aboriginal health. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia; 1979. http://www.aph.gov.au/parliamentary_business/committees/house_of_representatives_committees?url=reports/1979/1979_pp60report.htm (accessed Apr 2017).
- 2. Webb-Pullman M, Vorrath S, Nethercote J. The 25 reports on Aboriginal Australia that line government bookshelves. Melbourne: Crikey; 25 May 2006. https://www.crikey.com.au/2006/05/25/the-25-reports-on-aboriginal-australia-that-line-government-bookshelves (accessed Apr 2017).
- 3. Wilkinson R, Marmot M. Social determinants of health: the solid facts; 2nd ed. Copenhagen: World Health Organization; 2003. http://www.euro.who.int/en/publications/abstracts/social-determinants-of-health.-the-solid-facts (accessed Apr 2017).
- 4. Marmot M, Friel S, Bell R, et al. Closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health. Lancet 2008; 372: 1661-1669.
- 5. Commission on the Social Determinants of Health. Closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health. Final report of the Commission on Social Determinants of Health. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2008. http://www.who.int/social_determinants/thecommission/finalreport/en (accessed Apr 2017).
- 6. Cohen AK, Syme SL. Education: a missed opportunity for public health intervention. Am J Public Health 2013; 103: 997-1001.
- 7. Johnston V, Lea T, Carapetis J. Joining the dots: the links between education and health and implications for Indigenous children. J Paediatr Child Health 2009; 45: 692-697.
- 8. Baker DP, Leon J, Smith Greenaway EG, et al. The education effect on population health: a reassessment. Popul Dev Rev 2011; 37: 307-332.
- 9. Korda RJ, Soga K, Joshy G, et al. Socioeconomic variation in incidence of primary and secondary major cardiovascular disease events: an Australian population-based prospective cohort study. Int J Equity Health 2016; 15: 189.
- 10. Brinkman S, Gregory T, Harris J, et al. Associations between the early development instrument at age 5, and reading and numeracy skills at ages 8, 10 and 12: a prospective linked data study. Child Indic Res 2013; 6: 695-708.
- 11. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Survey: first results, Australia, 2012-13 (Cat. No. 4727.0.55.001)Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia; 2013. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4727.0.55.001main+features802012-13 (accessed Apr 2017).
- 12. Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Closing the Gap Prime Minister’s report 2017. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia; 2017. http://closingthegap.pmc.gov.au/sites/default/files/ctg-report-2017.pdf (accessed Apr 2017).
- 13. Silburn S, McKenzie J, Guthridge S, et al. Unpacking educational inequality in the Northern Territory. Australian Council for Educational Research Conferences; 2014. http://research.acer.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1234&context=research_conference (accessed May 2017).
- 14. Wilks J, Wilson K. A profile of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander higher education student population. Aust Univ Rev 2015; 57: 17-30.
- 15. Fiske ST, Kaplan RM, Spittel ML, Zeno TL. Educational attainment and life expectancy. Policy Insights. Behav Brain Sci 2014; 1: 189-194.
- 16. Georges N, Guthridge SL, Li SQ, et al. Progress in closing the gap in life expectancy at birth for Aboriginal people in the Northern Territory, 1967–2012. Med J Aust 2017; 207: 25-30.
- 17. Marmot M. Social determinants and the health of Indigenous Australians. Med J Aust 2011; 194: 512-513. <MJA full text>
- 18. Spittel ML, Riley WT, Kaplan RM. Educational attainment and life expectancy: a perspective from the NIH Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research. Soc Sci Med 2014; 127: 203-205.
- 19. Stringhini S, Carmeli C, Jokela M, et al. Socioeconomic status and the 25 × 25 risk factors as determinants of premature mortality: a multicohort study and meta-analysis of 1.7 million men and women. Lancet 2017; 389: 1229-1237.
- 20. World Health Organization. 2013–2020 Global action plan for the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases. Geneva: WHO; 2013. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/94384/1/9789241506236_eng.pdf (accessed May 2017).
- 21. Thomson S, De Bortoli L, Underwood C. PISA 2015: reporting Australia’s results. Melbourne: Australian Council for Educational Research; 2017. http://research.acer.edu.au/ozpisa/22 (accessed Apr 2017).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.