A call for a multilevel response to an evolving challenge
Intensive care medicine (ICM) is an evolving high stakes specialty. Emerging evidence raises questions about the welfare and sustainability of the ICM workforce. Clinician burnout is a phenomenon resulting in consequences for both intensive caregivers and patients.
- 1. Shanafelt TD, Boone S, Tan L, et al. Burnout and satisfaction with work-life balance among US physicians relative to the general US population. Arch Intern Med 2012; 172: 1377-1385.
- 2. Burki TK. How do you deal with burnout in the clinical workplace? Lancet Respiratory 2015; 3: 610-611.
- 3. Garcia TT, Garcia PCR, Molon ME, et al. Prevalence of burnout in pediatric intensivists: an observational comparison with general pediatricians. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2014; 15: e347-e353.
- 4. Shehabi Y, Dobb G, Jenkins I, et al. Burnout syndrome among Australian intensivists: a survey. Crit Care Resusc 2008; 10: 312-315.
- 5. van Mol MMC, Kompanje EJO, Benoit DD, et al. The prevalence of compassion fatigue and burnout among healthcare professionals in intensive care units: a systematic review. PLoS ONE 2015; 10: e0136955.
- 6. Teixeira C, Ribeiro O, Fonseca AM, Carvalho AS. Burnout in intensive care units - a consideration of the possible prevalence and frequency of new risk factors: a descriptive correlational multicentre study. BMC Anesthesiol 2012; 13: 38.
- 7. Arora M, Asha S, Chinnappa J, Diwan AD. Review article: burnout in emergency medicine physicians. Emerg Med Australas 2013; 25: 491-495.
- 8. Kompanje EJO, Piers RD, Benoit DD. Causes and consequences of disproportionate care in intensive care medicine. Curr Opin Crit Care 2013; 19: 630-635.
- 9. Goitein L. Physician well-being: addressing downstream effects, but looking upstream. JAMA Intern Med 2014; 174: 533-534.
- 10. Knott CI. A personal reflection on staff experiences after critical incidents. Med J Aust 2014; 201: 550-551. <MJA full text>
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.