Simon Chapman discusses the phenomenon of “e-cigarettes” and the potential risks associated with their use
The New South Wales Government recently announced that it will outlaw the sale of electronic cigarettes (ECs) to minors. For the unfamiliar, ECs are battery-powered vaporisers that produce an aerosol or vapour containing nicotine and other substances, rather than cigarette smoke, which the user inhales. Parallel laws banning sales of tobacco products to children have existed in Australian states since 1900.1 These laws have long been ignored by many retailers2 and are poorly enforced. Prosecutions are rare, with the laws being largely symbolic gestures.
- 1. Tyrrell I. Deadly enemies. Tobacco and its opponents in Australia. Sydney: UNSW Press, 1999.
- 2. Tofler A, Chapman S. “Some convincing arguments to pass back to nervous customers”: the role of the tobacco retailer in the Australian tobacco industry's smoker reassurance campaign 1950-1978. Tob Control 2003; 12 Suppl 3: iii7-iii12.
- 3. Hung S. Smoking and health meeting. Philip Morris. [Memo of meeting minutes, dated 14 Feb 1973.] http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/owq24e00 (accessed Apr 2015).
- 4. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. National Drugs Strategy Household Surveys (NDSHS). Highlights from the 2013 survey. Canberra: AIHW, 2014. http://www.aihw.gov.au/alcohol-and-other-drugs/ndshs/ (accessed Apr 2015).
- 5. Chapman S. E-cigarettes: the best and the worst case scenarios for public health — an essay by Simon Chapman. BMJ 2014; 349: g5512.
- 6. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Online tables. Table 3.10. In: National Drug Strategy Household Survey. Detailed report: 2013. Canberra: AIHW, 2014. http://www.aihw.gov.au/alcohol-and-other-drugs/ndshs-2013/tables/ (accessed Apr 2015).
- 7. University of Michigan. E-cigarettes surpass tobacco cigarettes among teens [media release]. Michigan News 16 Dec 2014. http://www.monitoringthefuture.org/pressreleases/14cigpr_complete.pdf (accessed Apr 2015).
- 8. Action on Smoking and Health. Young people and smoking. Fact sheet. London: ASH, Jul 2014. http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_108.pdf (accessed Apr 2015).
- 9. US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Cigarette smoking among US high school students at lowest level in 22 years [media release]. 12 Jun 2014. http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/p0612-YRBS.html (accessed Apr 2015).
- 10. Scollo M, Winstanley M. Prevalence of smoking — secondary students. In: Tobacco in Australia: Facts and issues. 4th ed. Melbourne: Cancer Council Victoria, 2012. http://www.tobaccoinaustralia.org.au/chapter-1-prevalence/1-6-prevalence-of-smoking-secondary-students (accessed Apr 2015).
- 11. Goniewicz ML, Gawron M, Nadolska J, et al. Rise in electronic cigarette use among adolescents in Poland. J Adolesc Health 2014; 55: 713-715.
- 12. Grana RA, Ling PM. “Smoking revolution”: a content analysis of electronic cigarette retail websites. Am J Prev Med 2014; 46: 395-403.
- 13. Zhu SH, Sun JY, Bonnevie E, et al. Four hundred and sixty brands of e-cigarettes and counting: implications for product regulation. Tob Control 2014; 23 Suppl 3: iii3-iii9.
- 14. Glantz S; University of California, San Francisco: Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education. Lorillard admits flavored e-cigarettes attract youth; FDA should prohibit flavors as part of the current rulemaking. 31 May 2014. http://www.tobacco.ucsf.edu/lorillard-admits-flavored-e-cigarettes-attract-youth-fda-should-prohibit-flavors-part-current-rulema (accessed Apr 2015).
- 15. Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association of the United States. The safety assessment and regulatory authority to use flavors — focus on e-cigarettes. Revised. Washington, DC: FEMA, 3 Mar 2015. http://tobacco.ucsf.edu/sites/tobacco.ucsf.edu/files/u9/FEMAGRAS Ecig 030315.pdf (accessed Apr 2015).
- 16. Etter JF, Bullen C. A longitudinal study of electronic cigarette users. Addict Behav 2014; 39: 491-494.
- 17. Tverdal A, Bjartveit K. Health consequences of reduced daily cigarette consumption. Tob Control 2006; 15: 472-480.
- 18. Hart C, Gruer L, Bauld L. Does smoking reduction in midlife reduce mortality risk? Results of 2 long-term prospective cohort studies of men and women in Scotland. Am J Epidemiol 2013; 178: 770-779.
- 19. Song YM, Sung J, Cho HJ. Reduction and cessation of cigarette smoking and risk of cancer: a cohort study of Korean men. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 5101-5106.
- 20. Grana R, Benowitz N, Glantz SA. E-cigarettes: a scientific review. Circulation 2014; 129: 1972-1986.
- 21. Pisinger C, Dossing M. A systematic review of health effects of electronic cigarettes. Prev Med 2014; 69: 248-260.
- 22. Grando SA. Connections of nicotine to cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 2014; 14: 419-429.
- 23. Straif K, Loomis D, Guyton K, et al. Future priorities for the IARC Monographs. Lancet Oncol 2014; 15: 683-684.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.