Recent reports questioning the link between saturated fats and coronary heart disease fail to convince
“Eat less saturated fat and more polyunsaturated fat” has been the central dietary advice for reducing early death from coronary heart disease (CHD) for more than four decades. This advice was based on evidence accumulated over many years, and the decline in developed countries in the numbers of premature deaths caused by CHD is attributable in some measure to its widespread acceptance.
- 1. Siri-Tarino PW, Sun Q, Hu FB, Krauss RM. Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease. Am J Clin Nutr 2010; 91: 535-546.
- 2. Chowdhury R, Wamakula S, Kunutsor S, et al. Association of dietary, circulating and supplement fatty acids with coronary risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 2014; 160: 398-406.
- 3. Truswell AS. Cholesterol and beyond. The research on diet and coronary heart disease 1900–2000. Dordrecht: Springer, 2010.
- 4. Jakobsen MU, O'Reilly EJ, Heitmann BL, et al. Major types of dietary fat and risk of coronary heart disease: a pooled analysis of 11 cohort studies. Am J Clin Nutr 2009; 89: 1425-1432.
- 5. Keys A, Aravanis C, Blackburn H, et al. Seven Countries. A multivariate analysis of death and coronary heart disease. Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press, 1980.
- 6. Kromhout D, Menotti A, Blackburn H. The Seven Countries Study. A scientific adventure in cardiovascular epidemiology. Utrecht: Brouwer Offset, 1994.
- 7. Bronte-Stewart B, Antonis A, Eales L, Brock JF. Effects of feeding different fats on serum-cholesterol level. Lancet 1956; i: 521-526.
- 8. Mozaffarian D, Micha R, Wallace S. Effects on coronary heart disease of increasing polyunsaturated fat in place of saturated fat: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. PLOS Med 2010; 7: e100025.
- 9. Mirzaei M, Truswell AS, Taylor R, Leeder SR. Coronary heart disease epidemics: not all the same. Heart 2009; 95: 740-746.
- 10. Kupferschmidt K. Scientists fix errors in controversial paper about saturated fats. Science Insider [internet] Epub 2014; 24 Mar. http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2014/03/scientists-fix-errors-controversial-paper-about-saturated-fats (accessed Mar 2015).
- 11. Shekelle RB, Shryock AM, Paul O, et al. Diet, serum cholesterol, and death from coronary heart disease. The Western Electric study. N Engl J Med 1981; 304: 65-70.
- 12. Goldbourt U, Yaari S, Medalie JH. Factors predictive of long-term heart disease mortality among 10 059 Israeli civil servants and municipal employees. A 23-year mortality follow-up in the Israeli Ischemic Heart Disease Study. Cardiology 1993; 82: 100-121.
- 13. Miettinen TA, Naukkarinen V, Huttunen JK, et al. Fatty acid composition of serum lipids predicts myocardial infarction. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1982; 285: 993-996.
- 14. Block RC, Harris WS, Reid WJ, Spertus JA. Omega-6 and trans fatty acids in blood cell membranes: a risk factor for acute coronary syndromes? Am Heart J 2008; 156: 1117-1123.
- 15. Harris WS, Poston WC, Haddock CK. Tissue n-3 and n-6 fatty acids and risk for coronary heart disease events. Atherosclerosis 2007; 193: 1-10.
- 16. Woodhill JM, Palmer J, Leelarthaepin B, et al. Low fat, low cholesterol diet in secondary prevention of coronary heart disease. Adv Exp Med Biol 1978; 109: 317-330.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.