Can today's quest for innovation and efficiency in health care learn from the development of the laparascope?
- 1. Hatzinger M1, Häcker A, Langbein S, et al. Hans-Christian Jacobaeus (1879–1937): the inventor of human laparoscopy and thoracoscopy [German]. Urologe A 2006; 45: 1184-1186.
- 2. Zucker KA, Bailey RW, Reddick EJ, editors. Surgical laparoscopy. St Louis, Mo: Quality Medical Publishing Inc, 1991.
- 3. Schollmeyer T, Soyinka AS, Schollmeyer M, Meinhold-Heerlein I. Georg Kelling (1866 –1945): the root of modern day minimal invasive surgery. A forgotten legend? Arch Gynecol Obstet 276: 505-509.
- 4. Litynski GS. Laparoscopy between the world wars: the barriers to trans-Atlantic exchange: spotlighting Heinz Kalk and John C. Ruddock. JSLS. 1997; 1: 185-188.
- 5. Nagy AG, Patterson EJ. Laparascopic surgery: historical perspectives. In: Zucker A, editor. Surgical laparoscopy. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2001.
- 6. Soper NJ, Stockmann PT, Dunnegan DL, Ashley SW. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy. The new “gold standard”? Arch Surg 1992; 127: 917-921.
- 7. Smith S, Newhouse JP, Freeland MS. Income, insurance, and technology: why does health spending outpace economic growth? Health Aff (Millwood) 2009; 28: 1276-1284.
- 8. Buchbinder R, Osborne RH, Kallmes D. Vertebroplasty appears no better than placebo for painful osteoporotic spinal fractures, and has potential to cause harm [editorial]. Med J Aust 2009; 191: 476-477.
- 9. Shaw JA1, Warren JL. Resistant hypertension and renal denervation where to now? Cardiovasc Ther 2015; 33: 9-14.
- 10. Prasad V, Vandross A, Toomey C, et al. A decade of reversal: an analysis of 146 contradicted medical practices. Mayo Clin Proc 2013; 88: 790-798.
- 11. Choosing wisely. An initiative of the ABIM Foundation. http://www.choosingwisely.org/about-us/ (accessed Mar 2015).
- 12. NPS MedicineWise. Choosing Wisely Australia launching in 2015. http://www.nps.org.au/media-centre/media-releases/repository/choosing-wisely-australia-launching-in-2015 (accessed Mar 2015).
- 13. Royal Australasian College of Physicians. Evolve: evaluating evidence, enhancing efficiencies. https://www.racp.edu.au/index.cfm?objectid=3B8173E6-F3B9-C2FD-24B7E7353586BDEA (accessed Mar 2015).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.