How this new breed of trade agreement could affect public health and access to medicines
Macroeconomic policy decisions can seem far removed from day-to-day medical practice; however, these high-level policy decisions about trade and economic policy have far-reaching consequences and can undermine effective health policy and practice.
- 1. Baldwin R. 21st century regionalism: filling the gap between 21st century trade and 20th century trade rules. Staff Working Paper ERSD-2011-08. Geneva: World Trade Organization, 2011.
- 2. Fergusson IF, Cooper WH, Jurenas R, Williams BR. The Trans-Pacific Partnership negotiations and issues for Congress. Washington, DC: Congressional Research Service, 2013.
- 3. Gleeson D, Friel S. Emerging threats to public health from regional trade agreements. Lancet 2013; 381: 1507-1509.
- 4. Gleeson DH, Tienhaara KS, Faunce TA. Challenges to Australia's national health policy from trade and investment agreements. Med J Aust 2012; 196: 354-356. <MJA full text>
- 5. Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement: Canberra: Australian Government, 2014. http://dfat.gov.au/trade/agreements/tpp/Pages/trans-pacific-partnership-agreement-tpp.aspx (accessed Feb 2015).
- 6. Rollins A. Fears cloud trade pact despite govt assurances. Australian Medicine 2014; 11 Nov. https://ama.com.au/ausmed/fears-cloud-trade-pact-despite-govt-assurances (accessed Jan 2015).
- 7. Lopert R, Gleeson D. The high price of “free” trade: U.S. trade agreements and access to medicines. J Law Med Ethics 2013; 41: 199-223.
- 8. Monasterio E, Gleeson D. The Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement: exacerbation of inequality for patients with serious mental illness. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2014; 48: 1077-1080.
- 9. Thow AM, Snowdon W, Labonté R, et al. Will the next generation of preferential trade and investment agreements undermine prevention of noncommunicable diseases? A prospective policy analysis of the Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement. Health Policy 2015; 119: 88-96.
- 10. Schewel M. Under the radar, TPP parties wrestle over carveouts on services, SOEs. Inside U.S. Trade 2014; 32 (30).
- 11. Public Health Association of Australia. Protecting the health of Australians in the Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement negotiations [media release]. 17 Feb 2014. http://www.phaa.net.au/documents/140217%20TPPA%20Health%20Impact%20Media%20Release.pdf (accessed Jan 2015).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.