As plain packaging bites into smoking, The Australian newspaper relentlessly attacks the legislation
This year marks two 50th anniversaries — the first United States Surgeon General's report on smoking and health1 and the establishment of The Australian newspaper.
- 1. United States Surgeon General. Smoking and health: report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General of the Public Health Service. Washington, DC: Public Health Service, 1964. DHEW publication no. (PHS) 64-1103.
- 2. Australian Government Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Transcript of joint doorstop Commonwealth Parliamentary Offices Sydney. 29 April 2010. http://pmtranscripts.dpmc.gov.au/browse.php?did=17256 (accessed Jul 2014).
- 3. Institute of Public Affairs. People and associates: Sinclair Davidson. https://www.ipa.org.au/people/sinclair-davidson (accessed Jul 2014).
- 4. Institute of Public Affairs. People and associates: Henry Ergas https://www.ipa.org.au/people/henry-ergas (accessed Jul 2014).
- 5. Swan J. Institute opposing plain packaging funded by a tobacco company. Sydney Morning Herald 2012; 31 May: 3 http://newsstore.smh.com.au/apps/viewDocument.ac?page=1&sy=smh&kw=tobacco&pb=smh&dt=selectRange&dr=today&so=relevance&sf=text&sf=headline&rc=10&rm=200&sp=nrm&clsPage=1&docID=SMH120531AK7MM3N18FM (accessed Jul 2012).
- 6. Kerr C. End the nanny state to win. Institute of Public Affairs review article (undated). https://www.ipa.org.au/sectors/nanny-state/publication/2078/end-the-nanny-state-to-win (accessed Jul 2014).
- 7. Kerr C. The health fascists' war on drinking falters. The Spectator (London) 2010; 3 Feb. http://www.spectator.co.uk/australia/5749923/the-health-fascists-war-on-drinking-falters (accessed Jul 2014).
- 8. Australian Government. Department of Health. Tobacco key facts and figures. 2014. http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/tobacco-kff (accessed Jul 2014).
- 9. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Tobacco smoking. National Drug Strategy Household Survey 2013 key findings. http://www.aihw.gov.au/alcohol-and-other-drugs/ndshs/2013/tobacco (accessed Jul 2014).
- 10. Tobacco Tactics, University of Bath. Institute of Public Affairs. http://www.tobaccotactics.org/index.php/Institute_of_Public_Affairs (accessed Jul 2014).
- 11. Tobacco Tactics, University of Bath. Institute of Economic Affairs. http://www.tobaccotactics.org/index.php/Institute_of_Economic_Affairs#Receives_Funding_from_Tobacco_Industry (accessed Jul 2014).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.