Recent redundancies in mainstream media threaten the quality of journalism and affect public health
The print media in Australia has recently experienced a sudden and extensive loss of experienced journalists. By the end of 2012, 148 editorial staff at four major Fairfax publications had announced or confirmed their departure in the wake of redundancy offers.1 The Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance estimates that, together with recent job losses at News Limited (now News Corp Australia), the result is that the major newspaper companies shed one in seven journalism jobs during the winter of 2012.2
- 1. The flight from Fairfax: who’s leaving the building? Crikey 2012; 14 Aug. http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/08/14/the-flight-from-fairfax-whos-leaving-the-building (accessed Dec 2012).
- 2. MEAA speaks out as newspaper redundancies reach 700. B&T 2012; 5 Sep. http://www.bandt.com.au/news/media/meaa-speaks-out-as-newspaper-redundancies-reach-70 (accessed Sep 2012).
- 3. Fairfax pledges quality as journos depart. The Australian 2012; 31 Aug.http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/fairfax-pledges-quality- as-journos-depart/story-fn3dxiwe-1226462629587 (accessed Sep 2012).
- 4. Gibson J. Life after journalism: as Fairfax sheds 1,900 staff, one editor reflects on the end of an era. The Journalism Foundation 2012; 4 Sep. http://www.thejournalismfoundation.com/2012/09/life-after-journalism- as-fairfax-sheds-1900-staff-one-editor-reflects-on-the-end-of-an-era (accessed Sep 2012).
- 5. Wilson A, Bonevski B, Jones A, Henry D. Media reporting of health interventions: signs of improvement, but major problems persist. PLOS One 2009; 4: e4831.
- 6. Seale C. Health and media: an overview. Sociol Health Illn 2003; 25: 513-531.
- 7. Grilli R, Ramsay C, Minozzi S. Mass media interventions: effects on health services utilisation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2002; (1): CD000389.
- 8. Schwartz LM, Woloshin S, Moynihan R. Who’s watching the watchdogs? BMJ 2008; 337: a2535.
- 9. Moynihan R, Henry D. The fight against disease mongering: generating knowledge for action. PLOS Med 2006; 3: e191.
- 10. Kofman J, Smith C. News of the World is no more. ABC News, 2011; 9 Jul. http://abcnews.go.com/International/news-world-closed-telephone-hacking-scandal/story?id=14037284 (accessed Jun 2013).
- 11. Crikey. The quality journalism project. http://www.crikey.com.au/quality-in-journalism (accessed Sep 2012).
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.