Objective: To report the prospective outcomes of medical management of missed miscarriage before 13 weeks' gestation from an Australian cohort.
Design: Descriptive study of a cohort selected out of a randomised controlled trial.
Setting: Outpatient management at a maternity hospital between 1 May 2007 and 28 July 2010.
Participants: 264 women requesting medical management of missed miscarriage.
Main outcome measures: Number of doses of misoprostol required, unscheduled visits for care, findings at ultrasound follow-up, requirement for surgical management, number of cases of gestational trophoblastic disease (GTD), and self-reported patient experience.
Results: 107 women (40.5%) received a repeat dose of misoprostol, and 79 women (29.9%) made unscheduled visits for care. Among the 241 women with Day 7 ultrasound follow-up, a gestational sac was found in 32 women (13.3%), indicating failure of medical management. Complete miscarriage was induced without the need for surgery in 206 women (78.0%). Surgery was performed as an emergency in 13 women (4.9%). Twelve women (4.5%) had surgery for ongoing bleeding after medical management, and four of these did not have chorionic villi on histopathological examination. Five women (1.9%) had GTD, which was managed incidentally under the protocol. Among those who returned patient questionnaires, 73.0% participants (116/159) indicated that they would recommend medical management of miscarriage to other women, while 18.2% (29/159) indicated that they would undergo surgery next time.
Conclusion: The medical management of missed miscarriage on an outpatient basis is safe and effective.
Trial registration: ACTRN12612000150842.
- 1. 17th Expert Committee on the Selection of Use of Essential Medicines. Proposal for the inclusion of misoprostol in the WHO model list of essential medicines. Geneva, March 2009. http://www.who.int/selection_medicines/committees/expert/17/application/Miso_Incl_2.pdf (accessed Jul 2010).
- 2. Royal Australian and of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. The use of misoprostol in obstetrics. College statement C-Obs 12. November 2001. http://www.ranzcog.edu.au/partially-comparable/assessment-workshops-forms/logbook-a-tar/doc_download/946-c-obs-12-the-use-of-misoprostol-in-obstetrics.html (accessed Apr 2007).
- 3. Zhang J, Gilles JM, Barnhart K, et al. A comparison of medical management with misoprostol and surgical management for early pregnancy failure. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 761-769.
- 4. Trinder J, Brocklehurst P, Porter R, et al. Management of miscarriage: expectant, medical, or surgical? Results of randomised controlled trial (miscarriage treatment (MIST) trial). BMJ 2006; 332: 1235-1240.
- 5. Sotiriadis A, Makrydimas G, Papatheodorou S, Ioannidis J. Expectant, medical, or surgical management of first trimester miscarriage: a meta-analysis. Obstet Gynecol 2005; 105: 1104-1113.
- 6. Neilson JP, Hickey M, Vazquez J. Medical treatment for early fetal death (less than 24 weeks). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006; (3): CD002253.
- 7. Wood SL, Brain PH. Medical management of missed abortion: a randomized clinical trial. Obstet Gynecol 2002; 99: 563-566.
- 8. Heard MJ, Stewart GM, Buster JE, et al. Outpatient management of missed abortion with vaginal misoprostol. Obstet Gynecol 2002; 99 Suppl 4: 20S-21S.
- 9. Shelley JM, Healy D, Grover S. A randomised trial of surgical, medical and expectant management of first trimester spontaneous miscarriage. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 2005; 45: 122-127.
- 10. McLaren B, Shelley JM. Reported management of early-pregnancy bleeding and miscarriage by general practitioners in . Med J Aust 2002; 176: 63-66. <MJA full text>
- 11. Petersen SG, Perkins A, Gibbons K, et al. Can we use a lower intravaginal dose of misoprostol in the medical management of miscarriage? A randomised controlled study. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 2013; 53: 64-73.
- 12. Barceló F, De Paco C, López-Espín JJ, et al. The management of missed miscarriage in an outpatient setting: 800 versus 600 μg of vaginal misoprostol. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 2012; 52: 39-43.
- 13. Torre A, Huchon C, Bussieres L, et al. Immediate versus delayed medical treatment for first-trimester miscarriage: a randomized trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012; 206: 215.e1-215.e6.
- 14. Creinin MD, Huang X, Westhoff C, et al. Factors related to successful misoprostol treatment for early pregnancy failure. Obstet Gynecol 2006; 107: 901-907.
- 15. Chen BA, Reeves MF, Creinin MD, et al. Misoprostol for treatment of early pregnancy failure in women with previous uterine surgery. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2008; 198: 626.e1-626.e5.
- 16. Johnson N, Priestnall M, Marsay T, et al. A randomised trial evaluating pain and bleeding after a first trimester miscarriage treated surgically or medically. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 1997; 72: 213-215.
- 17. Nielsen S, Hahlin M, Möller A, Granberg S. Bereavement, grieving and psychological morbidity after first trimester spontaneous abortion: comparing expectant management with surgical evacuation. Hum Reprod 1996; 11: 1767-1770.
- 18. Blohm F, Hahlin M, Nielsen S, Milsom I. Fertility after a randomised trial of spontaneous abortion managed by surgical evacuation or expectant treatment. Lancet 1997; 349: 995.
- 19. Graziosi GC, Bruinse HW, Reuwer PJ, Mol BW. Women's preferences for misoprostol in case of early pregnancy failure. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2006; 124: 184-186.
- 20. Reeves MF, Lohr PA, Harwood BJ, Creinin MD. Ultrasonographic endometrial thickness after medical and surgical management of early pregnancy failure. Obstet Gynecol 2008; 111: 106-112.
- 21. Heath V, Chadwick V, Cooke I, et al. Should tissue from pregnancy termination and uterine evacuation routinely be examined histologically? BJOG 2000; 107: 727-730.
- 22. Sebire NJ, Rees H, Paradinas F, et al. The diagnostic implications of routine ultrasound examination in histologically confirmed early molar pregnancies. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2001; 18: 662-665.
- 23. Kirk E, Papageorghiou AT, Condous G, et al. The accuracy of first trimester ultrasound in the diagnosis of hydatidiform mole. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2007; 29: 70-75.
- 24. Tasci Y, Dilbaz S, Secilmis O, et al. Routine histopathologic analysis of product of conception following first-trimester spontaneous miscarriages. J Obstet Gynaecol Res 2005; 31: 579-582.
- 25. Sebire NJ. Hydatidiform mole and medical management of miscarriage. BMJ 2006; 332: 1454.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.