For many years, the diagnosis of diabetes has been made through the laboratory-based measurement of fasting or random blood glucose levels, or using the oral glucose tolerance test.
A glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c) level ≥ 6.5% (48 mmol/mol) is now also acceptable for diagnosing diabetes.
Caution is needed in interpreting HbA1c test results in the presence of conditions affecting red blood cells or their survival time, such as haemoglobinopathies or anaemia.
- 1. Dunstan DW, Zimmet PZ, Welborn TA, et al. The rising prevalence of diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance: the Australian Diabetes, Obesity and Lifestyle Study. Diabetes Care 2002; 25: 829-834.
- 2. UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group. Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33). Lancet 1998; 352: 837-853.
- 3. Holman RR, Paul SK, Bethel MA, et al. 10-Year follow-up of intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008; 359: 1577-1589.
- 4. Colman PG, Thomas DW, Zimmet PZ, et al. New classification and criteria for diagnosis of diabetes mellitus. Position statement from the Australian Diabetes Society, New Zealand Society for the Study of Diabetes, Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia and Australasian Association of Clinical Biochemists. Med J Aust 1999; 170: 375-378.
- 5. World Health Organization. Definition and diagnosis of diabetes mellitus and intermediate hyperglycaemia: report of a WHO/IDF consultation. Geneva: WHO, 2006.
- 6. Balkau B, Bertrais S, Ducimetiere P, Eschwege E. Is there a glycemic threshold for mortality risk. Diabetes Care 1999; 22: 696-699.
- 7. Kirkman MS, Kendall DM. Hemoglobin A1c to diagnose diabetes: why the controversy over adding a new tool? Clin Chem 2011; 57: 255-257.
- 8. Sacks DB. A1c versus glucose testing: a comparison. Diabetes Care 2011; 34: 518-523.
- 9. Valentine NA, Alhawassi TM, Roberts GW, et al. Detecting undiagnosed diabetes using glycated haemoglobin: an automated screening test in hospitalised patients. Med J Aust 2011; 194: 160-164. <MJA full text>
- 10. Colagiuri S, Lee CM, Wong TY, et al. Glycemic thresholds for diabetes-specific retinopathy: implications for diagnostic criteria for diabetes. Diabetes Care 2011; 34: 145-150.
- 11. Stratton IM, Adler AI, Neil HA, et al. Association of glycaemia with macrovascular and microvascular complications of type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 35): prospective observational study. BMJ 2000; 321: 405-412.
- 12. Khaw KT, Wareham N, Bingham S, et al. Association of hemoglobin A1c with cardiovascular disease and mortality in adults: the European prospective investigation into cancer in Norfolk. Ann Intern Med 2004; 141: 413-420.
- 13. Selvin E, Steffes MW, Zhu H, et al. Glycated hemoglobin, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk in nondiabetic adults. N Engl J Med 2010; 362: 800-811.
- 14. Use of glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c) in the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus. Report of a World Health Organization Consultation. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2011; 93: 299-309.
- 15. American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes — 2011. Diabetes Care 2011; 34 Suppl 1: S11-S61.
- 16. Colagiuri S, Davies D, Girgis S, Colagiuri R. National evidence based guideline for case detection and diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. Canberra: Diabetes Australia and National Health and Medical Research Council, 2009.
- 17. Guyatt GH, Oxman AD, Vist GE, et al; GRADE Working Group. GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. BMJ 2008; 336: 924-926.
- 18. Little RR, Rohlfing CL, Sacks DB; National Glycohemoglobin Standardization Program (NGSP) Steering Committee. Status of hemoglobin A1c measurement and goals for improvement: from chaos to order for improving diabetes care. Clin Chem 2011; 57: 205-214.
- 19. RCPA Chemical Pathology Programs. Program information circular: glycohaemoglobin program, whole blood samples, 22/06/09. http://www.rcpaqap.com.au/chempath/documents/uploadedfiles/455_Whole%20Blood%20Samples%20270809.pdf (accessed Jun 2012).
- 20. Gallagher EJ, Le Roith D, Bloomgarden ZT. Review of hemoglobin A1c in the management of diabetes. J Diabetes 2009; 1: 9-17.
Publication of your online response is subject to the Medical Journal of Australia's editorial discretion. You will be notified by email within five working days should your response be accepted.